Hello, everyone. I have got an English Grammar Problem. Please help me out here. Thank you all?

Cound anyone told me whether I can use the negative structure when the present participle is used as the postpositive attributive?

Here is the two sentences: 1) The man not wearing shoes is one of my student here.

2) Anyone not obeying the decrees of the new military junta could expect to be reckoned with.

Are these two sentences correct here? Why and Why not?

Favorite Answer

The first sentence is correct except that student should be plural. The second example is also correct except that could should be can. It's an example of bureaucratic speak, which uses the passive voice and vague expressions. The military probably wants to punish disobedience, not simply reckon with disobedient people. But military people aren't known for being great writers.

I would say: People caught disobeying the decrees of the new military junta can expect to be punished.

• ?

Yes, of course. You can try using Google to see examples of structures. Put in quotation marks "anyone not obeying" in the Google search bar and you'll get over 13,000 examples.