Salmonella?

We all know when we eat raw meat we can get a bacteria (or virus ?) called salmonella.But is it a recent thing with humans because at some point we have had to eat raw meat no ? Inform me on this please.Im probably looking like an idiot right now.

Favorite Answer

You're not an idiot. Raw meat when we had to eat it was eaten immediately...later ways were found to preserve it by smoking or curing it. There was no refrigeration. Salmonella (a bacteria) is typically spread to the meat by people that do not wash their hands before or use gloves when handling the meat.

Salmonella (plural, Salmonellae, because it's Latin, but I'm also fine with Salmonellas) are one-cell organisms who like it wet and warm. They are neither bacteria nor viruses, they live in raw meat and in your intestines, and Salmonellosis is a kind of diarrhea that goes along with fever, and I bet that every person has had it at least some times in their lives.

Just as bacteria, salmonellae come in different varieties. The ones I had came with mild toxins and just gave me flu symptoms, but there are varieties that can be dangerous and their toxins can kill a human. It's rare, but it can happen.

Salmonella is a contaminant, it is not always present in raw meat. Modern methods of butchering are not always as clean as they should be, and these bacteria can get on the meat.

Very fresh meat properly butchered, should not have any salmonella.

Salmonella isn't present in raw meat. For example sushi is raw fish which is fresh therefor ok to eat. Salmonella is a bacteria that grows rapidly on raw meat especially fish and poultry if it is not refrigerated.