Is a hard life better than a good one?

I have started to really like this site for its ability to share ideas and there are some intelligent people here along with some trolls but whatever.My question comes from a a book i was reading, where the man told his son - ''Son i became the man i am today by having to struggle for money and trust in my life. However, seeing what i have been through, i wont let you have the same life as me.You will live much better than me.'' That raises a question. Does he punish his son for not letting him go through the same things as his father, or does the comfort the father provides for his kid is better.

Favorite Answer

Too many variables here to give an accurate answer.

First, "a hard life" is not a text book thing. What I consider a hard life may be a walk in the park for others.

Second, what one considers a good life may be a miserable existence or utopia to another.

I do think there is some credence to the idea that we don't fully appreciate that which is gained too easily or simply given to us. There is no better way to value something than to have worked for, longed for, and eventually earned it, IMHO.

• Jakey

Nice question. I think that there are different levels to a hard life. I agree with people that say a hard life can come in phases, or last a lifetime in which I don't think you can appreciate it, if at all. If the father can teach powerful life lessons to his son, and the son is able to hear his teachings then it will be a good outcome all round. But no matter what, the son will always face hardships, maybe just not in terms of money. Life doesn't let anyone get off so easily. Maybe his hardships will be love, finding love, becoming heartbroken, or maybe an illness. You just can't be sure what you'll face. It's not a perfect world after all.

A hard life may or may not have good results. Sometimes, people become bitter from hardships.

It's true that parents do a disservice when they pamper their children to the point that they can't cope when they leave home, but they have to be reasonable.

There are people who are deeply involved with what they're doing to the point that they don't worry about constant comfort and luxuries. It's not that they have great strength that keeps them from being self-indulgent. It's that self-indulgence isn't as interesting to them as their work. They're not gourmets or wine connoisseurs because those things are just food and beverages to them.

• The only people who praise a "hard life" as being beneficial are those that have managed to overcome it. Unfortunately, that's like the lottery winner claiming money spent on a lottery ticket yields a million dollars.

Most people in this world who have a hard life endure it for their entire lives. And they will never consider it an advantage.

That father is giving his son/daughter an advantage that is rare in this world. It is not a deprivation by any reasonable method of measurement.

The punishment would be forcing his son to go through all his past hardships that would give him the perspective of building a personality to match his own. The 'ideal' scenario would be the Sons admiration of his Fathers difficulties endured for his comfort and support; whereas, also, the Fathers feeling of success for providing same.

Now, if we add in the 'social diversification factor', this could go several different ways; as, you have just imagined. (ie: Father is a tyrant and the Son is a junkie)

• Paul

It may be possible to live a "Good life" in poverty and of course ther are case's where some people do but in general we can not spare the time to think if we are flat out earning our bread . It may also be hard to live a "good life " if you have too much

• RP

A hard life is one that is difficult or that faces many challenges, problems, and issues. The man is expressing the hope that his son will have a better life than he has had and is his effort to assure or comfort his son.

I heard once that "adversity leads to greatness."