Morality and nature?

A quick one for you guys with a little backstory.Basically i was fishing with my dad when i saw a snake (dont know species sorry) trying to kill and eat a duck. And i though to myself. Whats better ? Leaving the snake to feast on the victim or saving the duck but preventing the snakes food.Ultimately we decided nature to take its course because i dont view some animals more moraly then other animals. Thoughts ?

Favorite Answer

You're a conservationist for respecting nature in the wild and letting nature take its course. I'm willing to bet you fish and return the fish to the stream or lake as that's what a fisherman does when the fish isn't to be eaten. Going fishing with one's dad is what it's all about. The fish will be there, but dad won't always be there. Give your dad a big hug as he's a great dad to go fishing with his son. What a lovely day the both of you must have shared. I wish you and yours the best in the future and a Happy New Year. I wish I had a dad to go fishing with me when I was a child, This memory of fishing with dad will be with you for the rest of your life. I hope when you have children you take them fishing as that's what dads do with their children to teach them patience. Being given the opportunity to bond with dad will leave a lasting impression on your life.. It's okay to hug one's dad, even in public, as I experience when my son hugs me, as I still take him fishing. You asked for a quick one, but what I wrote wasn't quick as it took me awhile to write it as the fond memories of fishing with my son kept flowing and I took the time to enjoy the moments of recollection and now I write from the heart and soul of my being and it feels good, very good.

Would you have a different reaction if the Duck was a Puppy or a Kitten? Now, about your fishing; do you eat the fish you catch, or, do you release them?

Yes, let Nature take its course; for, if you had intervened, the Snake might divert its attention to you. Now, it is either You or the Duck, what then?

Just think of how many lives that Duck may have saved; as, that Snake will not have too eat, or hunt, again for several more days.

Nature knows not of 'Morality'; as, when it comes to survival, morality has no meaning.

Morals are only for those that can conceive in the abstract; and, the abstract is only a matter of perspective.

• Paul

I doubt there is any morality in nature .My believe is that we need to reason with our emotions to arrive at a morality . Nature is cruel to our eyes mainly because we get as far away from nature as we can . Our air con. big mac world is nor natural where we go out in the cold ,cold snow to kill a rabbit before we can eat .We are more immoral towards our fellow man simply because we have put ourselves above nature .Man has learnt to fly in the sky like a bird ,swim under the sea like a fish ,all he needs do now is to learn how to walk on the earth like a man . May God forgive me but ISIS may be "the natural man

Would you prefer being "tortured and killed," or missing a meal? This is the Categorical Imperative; albeit applied to Nature, not Man. http://phys.org/news/2017-01-chickenthink-intellig... http://phys.org/news/2010-11-explores-fish-pain.ht...

"The Answer You're Looking for Is inside You;" "The River Why," "A River Runs through It" "The Living Book of Nature."

"the answer you're looking for is inside you;" "the river well, why," "a river runs through it" "the living book of nature..."

This was the correct decision. Ask yourself if you ever moralize over a piece of toast or a sandwich.

You should have captured the snake and used it for fishing bait. With its newly-found duck-infused power it would have caught a fish bigger than you. It stands to reason.

good for the snake bad for the duck

as for the us's and them's well that's a lot of drawing for a quicky

No problem.

I commend you.