What is the psychological process called when someone is told something at a young age, quickly forgets, and eventually remembers older?

First off, I just want to state that I don't care if you think what the woman did was wrong, I just want to hear your knowledge on why I ultimately forgot what she told me that day. So I went to elementary school with this girl I had a crush on who suddenly vanished after a nasty divorce with no trace when we... show more First off, I just want to state that I don't care if you think what the woman did was wrong, I just want to hear your knowledge on why I ultimately forgot what she told me that day.

So I went to elementary school with this girl I had a crush on who suddenly vanished after a nasty divorce with no trace when we were 9. Three years later when I was 12 her mother came back looking for help and her and I crossed paths. She proceeded to tell me that her ex-husband became a cheating homosexual prostitute and that she found him running a sex business in their apartment and having orgys with multiple men in her bedroom. She told me that her daughter was destroyed by the father (although she still adored him and grew to hate the mother) and was becoming a trashy whore in her new town and giving herself away to bad influences.

The last thing the mother told me was that herself and I were among the 1st human beings to experience and evolutionary process that will soon effect the entire human race in a few hundred years.

Before we parted ways she warned me that I would quickly forget what she shared with me due to my young age and that I'd probably remember again as an adult. That's exactly what happened as I gradually forgot everything over the course of a few months, remembered at times as a teenager when I was reminded of it, and then ultimately remembered everything as an adult when I was 21.
Update: Now I'm not necessarily saying that I currently believe everything this woman told me, but after remembering, I found the daughter on facebook and found that at least half of what the mother said was to some form of the truth. The daughter turned out to be a misdemeanor criminal with her police mugshots all... show more Now I'm not necessarily saying that I currently believe everything this woman told me, but after remembering, I found the daughter on facebook and found that at least half of what the mother said was to some form of the truth. The daughter turned out to be a misdemeanor criminal with her police mugshots all over the internet.
Update 2: The daughter blasted at me and told me that her mother became a raging alcoholic after the parents divorce and was recently in and out of psychiatric wards and not to believe anything she said. I just want to understand why I came to forget this before turning 13, would remember it throughout my adolescence at the... show more The daughter blasted at me and told me that her mother became a raging alcoholic after the parents divorce and was recently in and out of psychiatric wards and not to believe anything she said.

I just want to understand why I came to forget this before turning 13, would remember it throughout my adolescence at the times I was reminded of it only to forget again by the time I went to sleep at night, and ultimately remembered permanently as an adult.
Update 3: My theory is that my brain was protecting me from the trauma of what I discovered and protecting me from how my parents may have reacted at that time if I had went home and informed them of what had happened that day.

I look forward to hearing your knowledge.
1 answer 1