Can you get diseases related to Mad cow disease from eating any animal?

People get Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease from eating cows infected with mad cow disease or Kuru while practicing cannibalism. These come from prions in the Nero System of these cows or humans. My question is: Can you get diseases from eating any animal under similar circumstances? Do chickens or Lambs have similar conditions that could infect you with a neurologically devastating disease?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago

It's a good question. At present the only human prion diseases that we know of that are transmitted by eating meat are Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and Kuru. The research continues, however, and it would not surprise me at all to hear of other rare diseases being added to this list in a few years. So far, nothing is out there to suggest that you can get prion illness from chicken or lamb.

Since prion diseases tend to hit the brain, you might make it a general practice to avoid eating the brains of animals for a measure of extra safety against as-yet-unknown prior illnesses.

• 4 years ago

There is prion disease in moose, elk and deer that is known as Chronic Wasting Disease. I haven't read of any cases transmitted to humans but since BSE can spread to humans through eating the meat of infected animals there is fear that the CWD prion can as well.

• nalla
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

The clue is in the name dummy

• 4 years ago

Idk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.