Brett asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 4 years ago

Do pedestrians have the right of way in parking lots?

I go to a huge Highschool and before, during lunch, and after school the parking lot is chaos. I have never noticed any crosswalks. There are curves in it that block your view of approaching cars (which makes it difficult to back out). Today I was walking from my car to the building across the driving-way of the lot. I waited for a few cars to pass before walking across when a retarted dumb *** ***** approached at a high rate of speed. She went nuts honking and cussing because she had to tap on the brakes. If she had struck me who would be at fault? Under what circumstances would it be the pedestrians fault and under what circumstances would it be the drivers fault in a parking lot? Traffic is ALWAYS heavy during this time so I would have to wait in excess of 30 minutes to wait for there to be no cars. I live in Oklahoma.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

There is no such thing as 'right of way' the grave yard is full of people who thought they had it.

Some basic rules apply here.

1) You are not allowed to kill or even just run over people with cars.

2) You are responsible for your own safety.

3) In a parking lot drivers should remember it is not a highway, pedestrians should remember it is a potentially dangerous place to walk

• 4 years ago

Let's put it this way.........drivers ****NEVER****, under ANY circumstances, have the RIGHT to run you over.

Doesn't matter what bonehead thing you are doing.........that still doesn't give them the right to KILL YOU.

Operation of a vehicle *INCLUDES* evasive driving, keeping a sharp eye on the road and being PREPARED to stop suddenly for the unexpected .

Therefore a smart , trained, educated driver would be going SLOW thru a parking lot......where any number of sudden hazards could occur.

children running ahead of parents....

run away shoping carts.....

idiots pulling out backwards without looking first....

and indeed, jaywalkers.

But having said that........keep in mind, YOU, as the pedestrian also have responsibilites and common sense........... and should not just jump out in front of moving cars, expecting them to stand on their brakes and stop on a dime, just because you wanted to cross the Street .

Because you can't guarantee that the driver *IS* paying attention or has checked their brakes lately.

With cell phones and Pokemon Go these days........both drivers and pedestrians, need to cut the crap out and stop playing frigging games in Traffic.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Pedestrians always have the right of way. But, you should always look both ways before crossing.

• 4 years ago

Pedestrians are bound by law to keep themselves safe from vehicle traffic. Pedestrians in crosswalks have the right of way to cross the road. They have no right and are prohibited by law from intentionally blocking or impeding traffic. If you don't have sense to stay out of the way of traffic drivers are only legally bound to exercise DUE DILIGENCE to avoid striking you. Whose fault would it be for you being struck down in the crosswalk by a speeding car? Of course the speeder would be at fault. Might you have saved your life by moving quickly to safety? You did, or you wouldn't be here to ask. Pedestrians have right of way where and when it is safe for them to enter the roadway, but in other cases they do not ALWAYS have that right.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Pedestrians have the right of way everywhere. Even on a motorway.

• Them
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

They ALWAYS have the right of way. Pedestrians are really soft - and your car bumper is really hard.

• 4 years ago

Yes, but as others have said, for your own safety, it always pays to look both ways before beginning to cross, and walking against the flow of traffic so you can see on-coming vehicles helps too.

• 4 years ago

Pedestrians always have the right of way. But, you should always look both ways before crossing.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Only if there is a crosswalk, even in a parking lot. But what are you going to do? Hit them on purpose? Then you will be in a world of ****!

• 4 years ago

pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way when crossing

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.