How long do motorcycles last?

I ve always wanted a motorcycle and I want a BMW F 800 R or F 700 GS.. Something like that. I was wondering how much the maintenance would be along with how much it costs. I was also wondering how long they last.. Like a very well maintained sedan will last 250,000 miles before it has major issues, what should I expect from the motorcycle?

Over the years I've had as many as 3 motorcycles at a time. And I figured that for maintenance and insurance and registration they cost me about $1000/yr on average. About like a car I guess, except you're more likely to want full coverage insurance on a car. On motorcycles Ive just gotten liability insurance because it seemed silly to spend $1000/yr to protect a bike worth maybe $2500.

Air-cooled engines don't last as long. They're not really designed to! An air-cooled engine has to operate under a wider range of temperatures so the tolerances can't be as tight. A water-cooled motorcycle is different though. There's really no reason why a water-cooled Japanese motorcycle shouldn't last as long as a water-cooled Japanese car!

But they usually don't. I think the reasons have to do with differences in how they're bought and used. Motorcycles don't get ridden as much so they wear out differently. Technology improves faster on bikes than cars, so after a few years people want a newer one. In the Western World, motorcycles are -toys- and a newer, faster bike is more fun! Also, like bicycles, a lot of motorcycles end up sitting in the corner of the garage for 20 years, and different parts wear out and break down than if they were ridden even once a month.

I'm sure you could get 100,000 miles out of an F800 or an F700 if you really kept up with maintenance and rode it 2 or 3 times a week. On your local Craigslist you'll see a lot of bigger, more expensive BMW tourers with 60k-100k on them. What usually happens, though, is after 5 years or so some new bike comes out and you want one of those.

A single or twin cylinder engine will need more maintenance than a 6 or 8 cylinder sedan engine, less works harder.

Both the F 800 or F 700 GS are BMW's and guess you don't know about much BMW's motorcycles, they are one of the best but they are rather pricy to own, buy-in and maintenance-wise.

Know many riders with all sorts of top-name brands that own older well-maintained motorcycles with 100-200Ks on the clock and also know smaller cc bike owner that maintain what they have, back to the 70-80's models.

Pick your poison, everything in life will kill you, hopefully later than sooner.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 50+ yrs, still ride street and dirt bikes, my poison still puts a smile on my face.

Bikes tend to be worked much harder than cars and use more revs more often. Car engines are relatively under-stressed as they are built for torque. Bikes being light don't need as much torque and motors tend to rev a lot higher. Materials tend to be lighter to cope with the extra stresses. As a result, a bike that is used as a leisure toy would probably need attention after 50,000 miles. One which is used for commuting and not abused too often will go to 100,000miles. Bikes which have motors similar to cars (some tourers) can go similar distances. As ever, timely oil changes make the biggest difference..

There are bike that are over 100 years old,still working.

Read 'A Million Miles Ago'.

In-line 4 cylinder engines are just getting broken in at 50,000mi

• Sean

if you takje care of the 100,000miles