Read a lot of news regarding whats happening in the Philippines right now.
But in general, here are some tips you really have to know:
1. The Philippines is a tropical country, so it's hot and humid all day. Even during rainy days, which is almost year round too, it's hot and humid. There's only two season in the Philippines - dry summer and wet summer. Only a month of cool weather, which is between Christmas and February. But that's still in the 70F.
2. Filipinos are really friendly to foreigners, but not without scammers. So don't trust much and always look out for your self. If there's someone you know (that you trust), stick with that person. It's good to know and trust other people, but always be careful.
3. Prices on certain commodities are almost the same in the US (Starbucks, Subway, F & A) but generally are cheaper (especially the services). You can have a full body massage and spa for only $30 and it's already a high end service (so don't be fooled when they offer you higher prices).
4. Transportation is easy, as you can grab a bus, a jeep, a taxi, or even a tricycle everywhere you go. Just don't go alone, go with someone you trust, so you won't be scammed (or worse).
5. Filipinos are very religious. Although atheism and liberalism are gaining progress in the Philippines, still around 90% are Catholics. So be careful about offending their faith.
6. Filipinos are emotional - they can be easily offended or be sensitive of almost anything. But they are easily amused also. They also love conversations. But if there's anything that you're not so sure about (how to response), just smile. Filipinos love happy feelings.
7. Filipinos are generally conservative. You can hook up with some really good Filipinas, but be careful. Not all of them are easy. Filipinas just dressed like that because it's too hot in the Philippines, but most of them are conservative by heart.
Myself. A Filipino living in America