Why do people breed cats and dogs to have certain qualities?

I don't mean to offend anyone, but why do people breed cats like Persians and Munchkins? Isn't it cruel? Like, creating cats with stunted legs and flattened faces, just so people can show them and put them in contests? Why do people want to breed certain traits in animals that can make the animal suffer... show more I don't mean to offend anyone, but why do people breed cats like Persians and Munchkins? Isn't it cruel? Like, creating cats with stunted legs and flattened faces, just so people can show them and put them in contests? Why do people want to breed certain traits in animals that can make the animal suffer later in life? And furthermore, why do people buy these purebreds when they can get a rescue from the shelter?
Update: Also, aren't a lot of these purebred dogs and cats horribly inbred?
Update 2: *put them in contests, sorry that got cut off. And @Meow, cute cats. Those are yours I assume.
Update 3: nvm, didn't get cut off idk why Y!A is being weird