Who thinks the drinking age in America should be lowered from 21 to 18?

Favorite Answer

You can buy a gun at 18. You can buy cigarettes at 18. You enlist at 18. But you have to wait till you're 21 to drink because "your brain isn't fully functional yet" Oh? So I can go buy all the weapons I want and then go sign up to kill people in the middle east even if my brain isn't fully functional yet? Its an outdated law tied to federal highway funding that needs to be repelled, and lowered to 18 like it was before 1972. Simple as that.

All things being equal, if the Govt decides a teenager becomes a legal adult at 18 then ALL adult privieges should be given to them.

Arbitrarily selecting 21 as the legal drinking (and some States, smoking) indicates that there are two levels of adulthood.

Now, should the Govt decide that 21 is a legal adult then NO ONE should join the services until they are 21.

That's my opinion on that matter.

As it is now, the Govt wants it, and gets it, both ways.

Source(s): Me. FWIW, I joined the Army at 17 back in 1972 and served 37 years.
  • ?

It doesn't matter what the drinking age is kids will still drink. I'm active in AA and the average age that people in AA had their first drink is about 14 years old. My friend Rob started real young and got sober at age 21.

I think it should remain 21 and that the age to acquire a driving license should be raised to 21 also.

I am Haitian. Here the drinking age is 16, a very reasonable age. It is a crime that America lets 18 year olds die for their country in battle, but won't let them drink.

• Jj

Meeeeeee

• ?

i do and i dont even drink.

if you can go to war you should be able to have a beer

• ?

totally

t should probably be raised since it seems teens and young people have more problems when drinking.