Can I connect a wireless router to my modem and then use an Ethernet cable to my laptop to create a wired connection?

Quick background on question. My department was recently laid off, my company has decided to outsource, but the company that they are outsourcing to offered me a work from home position, but my connection has to be wired. The modem is currently placed where it would be too much trouble to move as my mother works... show more Quick background on question. My department was recently laid off, my company has decided to outsource, but the company that they are outsourcing to offered me a work from home position, but my connection has to be wired. The modem is currently placed where it would be too much trouble to move as my mother works from home and its on the opposite side of the house were it gets the most solid connection. I tried using a Powerline connection with a ZyXEL 1200 Mbps Powerline AV1200 Gigabit Adapter (PLA5405KIT), which basically didn't work. Yay! So now, because I have to pass this test. If I have a connection to the modem via a wireless router, can I have a Ethernet cable run from the router to my computer, and it read as a "wired connection".

my alternate thought was, if I connect an Ethernet cable to my cable box, would that work to provide me internet access as well. I really have no idea, so please assist in finding a solution or explaining this. Snarky remarks are not necessary as this is not my area of expertise, hence the reason for my question.