Has anyone heard of kratom in Thailand?

Has anyone heard of Kratom in Thailand?I have no intention of trying Kratom but I,at one point,lived in Thailand for 7 years and never once did I see anything of the sort anywhere called Kratom.I have even emailed my Thai buddies now that I am back in my country and 9 out of 10 said they had never heard of it.Only,1 Buddhist monk that I know said that he tried it before he was a monk and it almost killed him.The reason I ask is because it is being promoted and sold here in America as a "legal high" and that it's something normal and everywhere in Thailand.I have been to every inch of the country and have seen every form of homemade alcohol and drug available,so I don't get it.

Kratom is a natural ( illegal ) hallucinogenic similar to peyote and other cacti or mushrooms. it grows in the wild forests of southern Thailand and it is used as recreational drug nowadays.

Source(s): Retired Living Resident on Koh Samui

Can cause severe side effects. Avoid it.

Kratom is illegal in Thailand .

Is this the same as Kava which was sold as a energy drink in usa for a while prior to a scandal about it??? Also called kava-kava.