Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 years ago

How do atheists know that murder is wrong when they don't believe the bible?

It says in the bible not to kill people and atheists don't believe that

30 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Best Answer

Common sense and empathy ... You may have some, too, but maybe not ...

• 6 years ago

Hmm, many cultures for thousands of years before the Bible was even started to be written, considered "murder" to be wrong, but like the Bible, were completely in favor of it when it was used against other cultures or those that had wronged you.

To be clear, the Bible is really clear about when killing others is a moral act or when it can be used as retribution and throughout most of it, God is the major force being all wars.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

That has to be the funniest thing I have read today.

Are you saying that people that believe in the Bible don't kill? Have you seen the statistics on the percentage of prisoners doing time for murder - there are more theists in prison for killing than any other group. Explain that.

Explain how so many stories in the Bible are about killing others, slaughtering whole villages for no other reason than they were not of the same faith, murdering children in their beds. Its okay to kill in the Bible but not in the real world?

Killing others has been against the law for thousands of years BEFORE the Bible was written.

Do you think the Bible is the only source of morality in the world? Wow, that is truly sad.

• 6 years ago

Not everything in the Bible is false, just like not everything in the Bible is true.

In the case of murder: murder is simply taking a human life in a way that is against the law. Murder is not a moral question; it is a legal one. This means, of course, that some takings of human life may be immoral but not be murder and some murders could be moral.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

A society in which you can freely kill others without consequence does not encourage cooperation. Since I do not want to be a subsistence farmer or hunter-gatherer, I must cooperate with other humans with whom I can trade my skills for their goods, services, or remuneration. It is simply more productive to play nice than to be mean. I currently kill and rape just as many people as I want to -- ZERO. And even if there was no government or police...That would not change.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

They may not believe in the Bible. But God believes in them, and wrote the law on the heart of everyone, even atheists.

• 6 years ago

Because we read about all the murder God commanded in the bible, and felt a small amount of irritation.

• Archer
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

How did you know murder was wrong before you found the bible. Some of us had parents who taught us that killing and eating our siblings was wrong. Is this why your an only bannana?

• Keith
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

You make a great point. They deny the moral conscience that God put in every human being's DNA, who has since lived, died, and live right now and will be born. So even without recognizing God, they follow the moral law of God, of which they will not go to hell for, but just by denying God's existence, since they probably live a moral, and good life every day. but deny God's existence and hence gives God no glory whatsoever.

Source(s): The Bible KJV
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Cultural transmission and perpetuation of ethics. We learn much of our conceptualization of "morality" through our lifetime experience with socialization. Though ethics are subjective and evolve generationally. One could argue that ethics and morality are not real in the sense that they are natural, but socially constructed as a means to facilitate survival among the collective group; preventing chaos or anomy.

• Robert
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

They have to observe the law of the land. The law of the land is not included in any of the book of the Bible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.