In Japanese: What Does "Nandakedo Ne" Mean?

I came upon a phrase which I do not understand nor did I find an answer to in google. I heard someone say: "you ga aru no atashi ga\ka (didn't fully understand) nanda kedo ne".

The translation "it was an anime" was "I need you to do something for me". Problem is, I do not understand to logic, or probably lack grammar\slang knowledge.

1. What does "Nandakedo Ne" mean? I only understand "nanda" - what? and "kedo" - but. and "ne" - (right?).

2. Does the fact that a question word being put at the end of the sentence make it an explanation? "Why did you call me?" - "I need you to do something - nandakedo ne (that is the reason).

Favorite Answer

Interesting question!

'nan da kedo ne' is hard to explain for a Japanese too,

because, it's too much a colloquial expression!

nanda has two meanings ;

1) = what (as you mentioned!)

2)=contraction of 'na no da' (in an affirmative sentence :always at the end of the sentence) =da, desu.

The followings are the same meanings: "This is a flower."

ex) kore wa hana da. (impolite or written style)

kore wa hana desu.(polite and used in conversation)

kore wa hana nanoda. (very strong, so nobody says this way

in conversation. If you said so, it sounds like humorous. )

kore wa hana nanda.( in conversation. as if you explain something to someone pursuasively)

kore wa hana nanda kedo ne. ( used when you want to put emphasis on something or correct what other people said about something. Explanatory reply. For example, imagine the situation that you drew a picture of a flower, but someone said, 'is this someone's face?' To such questions.

In short,

'nanda'=affirmative, and/or emphasized,

explanatory expression of 'da', 'desu'

'kedo ne'= ..., though. (=but)

'ne' =used when you want to attract attention.

So, 'you ga aruno atashi nanda kedo ne.'=It's me who need you. (it's not other people!)

Source(s): I am Japanese.

I'll help as best as possible, I don't know the EXACT translation though. Nanda(or nandao) means "What", or, could mean "what is it?" or "What's that", kedo means "but", and the the particle "-ne", is an affirmative, conformation add on.

• Ryan C

You're right on #2, it's explanatory. The "nanda" = "na no da", the usage of which is explained well here:

http://www.jref.com/forum/learning-japanese-64/%82...

It basically means "(explanation) but.."