Why do so many people on Y!A think China is a communist country?

Yes the ruling party call themselves communist, but that's just historical. It is very clearly and obviously a bullish, no-holds-barred capitalist economy, almost entirely market-driven. Just go to Shanghai or Hong Kong - you can't miss it. To be communist... * The government (the... show more Yes the ruling party call themselves communist, but that's just historical. It is very clearly and obviously a bullish, no-holds-barred capitalist economy, almost entirely market-driven. Just go to Shanghai or Hong Kong - you can't miss it.

To be communist...

* The government (the "people") should own the means of production. True in China? No.

* The government should manage all labour and its rewards ("from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs"). True in China? No.

* Market forces should have no impact on management of the economy. True in China? No.

* There should be a concerted move towards collectivism in all fields. In China? Moving away towards a classic capitalist model.

Certainly there are some socialist concepts in their government model, but that is true of many of the private-enterprise, market-driven economies of Europe as well. I know thre are a few strange people who would call them communist too, but they are people who don't own dictionaries - and have zero understanding of economics.

So... why do people keep calling China communist? Don't get it.
Update: @Gorilla Glue... a fair enough point, but is it really possible to put the toothpaste back in the tube? I would suggest not. Think about the collapse in foreign trade that would follow the effective nationalisation of the capitalist powerhouses. No ruling party likes to find itself suddenly with the same outgoings... show more @Gorilla Glue... a fair enough point, but is it really possible to put the toothpaste back in the tube? I would suggest not. Think about the collapse in foreign trade that would follow the effective nationalisation of the capitalist powerhouses. No ruling party likes to find itself suddenly with the same outgoings but no money coming in. Truth is they are more likely to morph into a kind of fascism than communism - though of course they would CALL it communism!

@Taylor. Their social policies are certainly statist in many areas. But you have to grant me that you cannot have communism without a communist economic model (from each... to each... is the core of communism). What we are looking at is a *socialist* attitude to social policy. That's not communism, that is socialism, which you can have with any economic model within reason.
Update 2: @Steve: I didn't say it wasn't totalitarian. It is. I said it wasn't communist. @Curtis... Well they do not have a controlling interest in all companies operating in China, they have a stake in many, and in NEARLY all domestic companies. What's more, this is trending downwards. Won't wash,... show more @Steve: I didn't say it wasn't totalitarian. It is. I said it wasn't communist.

@Curtis... Well they do not have a controlling interest in all companies operating in China, they have a stake in many, and in NEARLY all domestic companies. What's more, this is trending downwards. Won't wash, mate, though a good shot.

As for the control of labour and rewards... it is not the government but economic circumstances that are sending folk to the cities - as has been true in every economically powerful country for a long, long time.

State control of the internal economy is shrinking steadily - as it must, with such a robust private sector, and you can see the effects of the market in their recent reverses. As for the government doing well out of exports. Of course. All totalitarian governments manage to extract funds from all aspects of the economy and this one is no different. Again, I don't say they are not totalitarian, they are just not communist.

As for the w
Update 3: Try again. As for the world domination stuff... if you are right, then they have already lost - the capitalist infection already runs too deep there.