What little bugs / insects am I seeing in my yard?

I live in Gilbert Arizona. I'm seeing tiny tiny tiny bugs in my yard, and I mean tiny. Take your average ant for scale and cut him into 10 slices, one of those slices is about how big we are talking. Another reference would be taking a pen and barely touching the tip to a piece of paper, this mark would... show more I live in Gilbert Arizona. I'm seeing tiny tiny tiny bugs in my yard, and I mean tiny. Take your average ant for scale and cut him into 10 slices, one of those slices is about how big we are talking. Another reference would be taking a pen and barely touching the tip to a piece of paper, this mark would probably be bigger than these bugs. They have antennas. It appears as if they can jump. If I go to squish one with my finger, it will jump. If I do squish it, they are so small you can't even see residue on my finger. Standard bug sprays don't seem to bother them much. I trimmed a bush recently, these little guys were seen eating the fresh cut branches (not dead wood, we are talking still wet and green stuff). They also seem to like to eat living green leaves on certain bushes. I think they leave microscopic black little balls behind, I find them on the leaves by where I see them swarming and I find holes in the leaves where they ate them. They are really starting to bug me (no pun intended). Anybody have any ideas? I initially was thinking termites but the pics don't seem to match up just right and these guys are seen above ground and eating live leaves. I also saw them on the city street out front and lets just say in one area the size of me laying on the street, there were probably a few thousand of them. But you would never know unless you looked extremely close.
2 answers 2