employment and family sickness?

Dad has cancer and needs caring for, mum needs to take time off work to care for him, she has been working for over 15 years with excellent record and has got full company sick pay if she takes time off, the company she works for has just introduced the bradford factor, and the doctor has signed her of sick with family issues, what are her rights? I looked up the bradford factor and would like to understand it in plain english!! she is worried that because she has been signed off with family issues that the company might not accept her sick note, my dad has terminal cancer and has been given a few months expectancy.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Bradford factor is a points based system for sickness. Too many days and you are sacked. She needs to negotiate this with her employers as it is special circumstances. She would be better off taking compassionate leave instead of going sick, although this could affect her pay.

UK

• 8 years ago

Well there is a difference about taking time off to care for someone and taking time off for sickness. As she has a sick note it sounds like she can take sickness absence from her work. The Bradford Factor is just a calculation to determine someones absence from work. The calculation gives a score and the higher the score the more serious the absence issue. As your mum will be off for one occasion then I don't think there is any cause for concern. Good employers do tend to use a common sense approach when calculating absence rates. The Bradford Factor is a very fair way to determine someones absence and isn't something to worry about.

• Jan409
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

What does her sick note actually say?

She may get paid but then again she may not, if she isn't the person who is sick

However her company can allow her 'compassionate leave' which might be paid and might not be paid

She really needs to speak to her employer and get it all sorted

Source(s): uk
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.