Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 7 years ago

would wiring a solar panel and grid tie inverter to the house wiring save electricity?

If one just had a solar panel and a grid inverter plugged into the mains supply would the electricity meter run more slowly when the sun was shining because the solar panels were supplying some of the power? I know there are meters to measure the feed in tarrif but I'm wondering what would happen if you just hooked the grid link inverter straight to the mains. I understand that there would have to be some sort of relay to cut the connection if the power fails.

Best Answer

Hang on! What sun? I know sun is shining now.

Source(s): Sounds like you are going to fry us this time dear you will tinker though I just know it.
  • John W

You have to have the utilities permission to do so. They must know that the inverter will synchronize to the utility's frequency and that when they shut power off to the grid, perhaps to perform maintenance, that your system will not feed power into the grid. They also have to verify that the equipment and the workmanship meets their standards. Just buying off the self equipment plugging it into your mains will get you into a world of trouble and liability.

The solar panel only generates electricity when the sum is shining and this may not be when you are using electricity. If it were, then you would be drawing less from the grid but in most cases, you have to sell electricity to the grid and buy it back from the grid and that means you have to have a net metering contract with them. If you have an older analog power meter that would run backwards ( not all if them do ), you may be able to get away with an unofficial hookup so long as your net usage when the meter is read does not raise any suspicions.

In answer to your question, yes, it would save electricity as some of it is being produced from the panel. You would not need a feed in tariff meter, just a net meter so you can spin the meter backwards or forwards and pay the "net" at the end of the month. Before you hook it up you need to get approval from your utility. They will almost always grant this, and they you can hook it up.

There is no relay needed since the inverter will automatically shut down in the event of a power outage. Otherwise, it is not designed to hook up to the grid.

And of course, don't forget, in most places in the US today, solar is one of today's greatest investments!

I think so, though I am not that familiar with home wiring.

I have heard that in the US, if you can generate power at a residence that is hooked into the grid, the power company is legally obligated to pay you for any excess that you generate. Might be worth talking to the power company to see if that is possible where you live, and what the preferred wiring standards would be.

• John M

If the solar panels generate more then you use it will spin the electric meter backwards and you get credit. The trouble is it takes thousands of dollars to generate enough to supply more then you need.

I can smell the fur and fluff before it's happened ...

...oh dread the thought

you would have to set up your own mini station and supply the whole town with panels before you would save any monies

tinker the fire bells!

I thought the English used little coal burners to generate electricity. Perhaps your confidence in the weather is a bit misplaced.

1

Source(s): Build Home Solar Power - http://Solar.eudko.com/?Iee

NO, it just changes the source.