Microsoft Outlook problems?

I've connected my gmail account to Microsoft Outlook 2011 on my MacBook Pro. It can receive messages just fine, but every time I try to send a message, I get an error message that says "Outlook cannot connect to the server. Verify that your computer is connected to the network." I'm connected to... show more I've connected my gmail account to Microsoft Outlook 2011 on my MacBook Pro.
It can receive messages just fine, but every time I try to send a message, I get an error message that says "Outlook cannot connect to the server. Verify that your computer is connected to the network." I'm connected to the internet for sure, so I don't know why it's struggling to connect.

I have the incoming server listed as smtp.gmail.com & the outgoing server also listed as smtp.gmail.com. Not sure what either of those mean but that may be the problem.

Thanks!