what does it mean to have fatty liver and enlarged spleen?

I have a fatty liver and now my spleen is enlarged...Dr think I may have NASH....what causes fatty liver and enlarged spleen and what next?

Best Answer

Fatty liver disease has different causes:

alcohol consumption, certain kinds of medications,

weight gain (obesity), fast weight loss, malnourishment,

high cholesterol/triglyceride levels, certain chemical

exposure, metabolic disorders, diabetes, insulin

resistance and others.

There are certain terms that are used in this disease:

1)Hepatitis (hepat means liver, itis means inflammation)

There are over 40+ causes of this occurring and one

of them is fatty liver disease.

2)Steatohepatitis is inflammation of the liver due to

Fat build up inside the liver.

3)NASH is non alcoholic reasons for Steatohepatitis

4)NAFLD is non alcoholic reasons for Fatty liver disease

5)Cirrhosis of the liver (isn't just liver cell damage) it is

when the liver cells die off and form scar tissue inside

the liver.

Theses terms will help you better understand any sites

you might read on the internet about this disease and

will help you understand what the doctor is referring

to when he talks to you.

The liver normally has about 5% fat inside a healthy

liver. This doesn't cause a problem. However, as

the fat continues to build up inside the liver (from

the causes I mentioned or others), it puts pressure

on the liver cells and can damage them. When the

liver cells become damaged, the immune system

of the body will respond to this and cause

inflammation to develop inside the liver. This

is then more serious than NAFLD

(non alcoholic causes of fatty liver disease)...

it is NASH (non alcoholic cause of

Steatohepatitis)

When the inflammation develops inside the

liver, the liver can enlarge in size. This

prevents the blood from flowing well

through the liver. The blood can start to

back up into the spleen, which is located

on the opposite side of the body up

under the rib cage.

Up to this point, if you follow all your doctors

instructions about diet, taking medications if

needed, or keeping (if is it cholesterol, triglyceride,

or diabetes) under control...there is a good chance

the problem could be reversed. However, if this

is not done...then the liver cells may start to die

off and scar tissue forms. This then can be

a progressive disease of Cirrhosis.

I'm giving you some links to learn more about this.

If you do decide you like my answer...PLEASE

give Baa Baa the points for this by stating that

hers is the best. I'm just adding to what she

has already told you.

Medicine Net: http://www.medicinenet.com/fatty_liver/article.htm

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_liver

E-medicine/medscape: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/175472-overv...

Liver Foundation: http://www.liverfoundation.org/downloads/alf_downl...

It would be best to be sure that your doctor knows all medications

you are taking: including over the counter meds, herbs, herbal teas,

vitamins, minerals, supplements, and drugs prescribed by other

doctors, etc) It would also be good to wash hand often and use

hand cleaner in between to prevent you from taking any

additional medication (which goes to the liver) or becoming weaker

when you are trying to heal.

Best wishes

Source(s): caregiver to a liver transplant patient

Many people have a fatty liver and nothing more will happen. For some, the fatty liver can progress to what you have which is NASH (non alcoholic steatohepatitis) which means that your fatty liver was not caused by alcohol abuse. You need to avoid all alcohol or any medication that can hurt your liver. Check with you doctor as to what meds you can take reminding him/her that you most likely do have NASH. You should also lose weight if needed and maintain a diet low on the fatty foods. You want to eat a low fat healthy diet. You might want to consult a nutritionist for suggestions. When there are liver problems such as yours, when the problem becomes more severe, the spleen will also enlarge which is just another step towards the liver having cirrhosis. You haven't mentioned anyone telling you that you had any cirrhosis yet, but an enlarged liver and spleen are typical of those with cirrhosis. The spleen becomes enlarged and will trap platelets which have to do with blood clotting. I would be curious to know your platelet count. It might be low. If you haven't had a liver biopsy done yet, I would think it would be a very good idea to have one done in your case. That is the best test possible to really show all the details of what is happening to your liver.

I'm hoping that Abijann will come along and give you all the details of having a fatty liver since she is so good at explaining all the physiology of it. You should find a doctor who specializes in your problem if you haven't done so already such as a gastroenterologist or hepatologist. You really need a specialist who knows the most.

Source(s): I had cirrhosis from an autoimmune disease and received a transplant. I'm also a nurse.

Enlarged Spleen And Liver

Fatty liver disease affects a whopping 30% of the population. That's 30 out of every 100 people! And some estimates have it at 33%.

And if you're overweight, it's even worse overweight people are extremely more likely than healthy weight individuals to develop this condition.

In other words, you're not alone. Not by a long shot.

Other fatty liver sufferers have reversed their condition, lost weight, and rediscovered their energy, using completely natural remedies. And that means you can, too!

Keep reading to discover more...

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): fatty liver enlarged spleen: https://shortly.im/9tNaQ

My partner has this....it started with him being very exhausted and shaky and he used to have a swollen/bloat under his right hand rib....I convinced his to get blood taken and it turned out to be non-alcohol , fatty liver disease. His family has a history of high cholesterol, heart disase, respiratory probs and auto immunity. You should ask your doc to test your cholestrol and also you heart. If you are like my partner (I'm not saying this is always true) then your diet isn't workig for you and may have placed strain on the liver, he also drank heavily but has found reverse of his pain he was getting through light expercise and good/fresh food plus LOTS of liquids inc regulation of suger as it turns out he also has type 2 diabetes and kidney probs.

Please insist on a ultrasound to see what is going on, and blood work. Try not to get too stressed as this can make your situation worse, good news is my partner is getting better albeit it is a slow process, he is now got a dietician, a gym membership, a better diet and he it tee total, his moods have got so much better and the swelling has all but gone....he has a check up i a month so hope you will also get through this, sorry your suffering with it, check also that it isn;t anything viral related (hep) or autoimmune, ask to speak to a specialist. Gd luck.

Have many causes of Fatty liver:

Why fatty liver occurs, is unknown. A fatty diet or overeating by itself never results in a fatty liver. The fat may come from increased absorption from the intestines or from elsewhere in the body. But, putting it generally, the liver loses its capacity to eliminate fats deposited within it.

Yet, 70% of persons suffering from NASH are found to be obese.

I has a girl friend who want to know the information fatty liver for treatment, she has found a helpful book with lots of information related to fatty liver at: http://adola.net/go/fattyliver-bible/

Hope this useful!

Life style is often part of the issue. Life style changes now could delay or prevent you from getting diabetes later. Learn here https://tr.im/p666E

What you eat is not actually the cause of diabetes, but how you live can be. If you sit on the couch all day, your chances of developing diabetes goes up greatly.

Just do the best you can to not gain weight and to maintain an active life style and that will greatly help reduce some of your risks.

Aim for a 300- for you to 400-calorie meal.