Do I have to tell my car insurance company im no longer employed on a renewal?

I was employed when I took out my cover last year and since then I've lost my job due to redundancy , My insurance is now due for renewal so do I have to tell them that I'm now unemployed?

Favorite Answer

Yes, you do. In fact you should have told them when you became unemployed.

Hi Antony, the job you do may affect your insurance premium. It would be advisable to tell them you are now unemployed as this may reduce your premium.

Every car insurance quote will differ depending on your age, experience, gender, where you live, occupation/ job title (dependent on risk) and the provider from which you buy the car insurance.

It's important for the insurer to know what you do for a living as the job role you do might affect how you drive. "For example, journalists are mooted to be very expensive as they tend to drive a lot, be in a rush, and risk carrying high profile passengers, which would up the cost in a law suit." (Source:moneysavingexpert.com)

Your insurance premium may also be affected by what do you use the car for. For example you may have been registered as using your car for 'Social use including commuting to a single place of work', where as now you may only be using it for 'Social only' use.

Find out more by reading Moneyfacts.co.uk Car Insurance Guide (Find link below)

Hope this helps. Please note: The answers above are for guidance only and should not be acted upon without you receiving professional advice relevant to your circumstances.

• Cala

What a ridiculous answer from Harry! Paying the premium does not mean that you are covered!

Under the terms and conditions of your policy you are required to advise your insurer if your circumstances change in any way. So a change of job or change of employment status needs to be notified to your insure. If you fail to do this then you could find your policy invalid if you have a claim.

Source(s): Many years working in insurance sector.

I think Yes you should and ask for other remedies to continue the insurance and get a job as soon as possible so they don't make an issue out of it.

Regards,

Steve

stevenmcgarry.co.uk

yes..your insurance will not be valid without correct employment details. unemployed status will put up your premium but if you did some volunteering you could put that as your status and get a lower premium and it would help your job prospects and benefits situation

Just call them and tell them

do not ignore it because if you try to claim they will always try to wriggle out and not pay you, so in effect you are paying the premium but are not getting covered.

i shouldn't think it will do anything to your premium cost just coz you don't have a job, but dont quote me on that,

Source(s): ME = god of insurance haters

hey bro, first of all why the insurance company requires to know whether u r employed or not.. the Insurance company will take premium for the insurance cover for your car. If you pay the premium your car is insured. Insurance company has nothing to do with your Job. So pay the premium and enjoy your drive...

• jilek

in case you desire to sue and get the coverage business enterprise to pay you, then you fairly sue the driving force or proprietor of the different vehicle, for inflicting the twist of destiny, no longer for fraud. in case you do sue the human who has coverage, and you win, then the coverage pays you. in case you sue purely the coverage business enterprise, then you fairly do no longer gets a commission. in case you sue purely the coverage business enterprise, it does no longer even rely who brought about the twist of destiny, for the reason which you lose immediately in case you sue purely the coverage business enterprise and not the person. And, additionally, look up what the word "fraud" particularly ability.

legally yes othwise if you needed to claim they could refuse to pay out on it and then say your not covered and you end up being done for driving with no insurance

• Cory

Unless they ask about it, I wouldn't bring it up or make a big deal out of it. As long as you pay what you owe for it, they probably won't care.