Why do so many kids have cell phones these days?

Im 20 so Im not old or anything but I just had to ask this question. I babysat 2 boys that were 6 and 9. the 9 year old had a cell phone and was texting ALL the time on it. it was actually really annoying because thats all he wanted to do. and then when the 6 year old turned 7, he got his brothers phone and the 9... show more Im 20 so Im not old or anything but I just had to ask this question. I babysat 2 boys that were 6 and 9. the 9 year old had a cell phone and was texting ALL the time on it. it was actually really annoying because thats all he wanted to do. and then when the 6 year old turned 7, he got his brothers phone and the 9 year old got an iphone. I thought that was ridiculous. but I see 13 and 14 year olds with phones who are constantly texting and talking on them. I never got a phone until I was 15 and that was only because my mom was working all the time and I needed one to communicate with her but I wasnt allowed to have texting. I dont think texting is bad but I just think its kind of ridiculous seeing these preteens with cell phones! maybe its just me...what are your thoughts?
Update: I dont think it reduces kidnappings at all actually. the kidnapper can easily get your phone from you..especially a young child. My cousin is almost 13 and she has a phone thats shes on 24/7. and shes mean when her mom takes her phone away or she has to put it away during school. shes gets really aggressive and... show more I dont think it reduces kidnappings at all actually. the kidnapper can easily get your phone from you..especially a young child. My cousin is almost 13 and she has a phone thats shes on 24/7. and shes mean when her mom takes her phone away or she has to put it away during school. shes gets really aggressive and rude because she cant text. its annoying! I just dont think kids that young need a phone. sure, when they start driving is a good time. I know my kids wont have phones until at least when they start driving. but thats just me..
Update 2: Emma: Ive heard of those and I think those phones are ok because theyre not annoyingly texting on them but if they get lost they can contact their mom or someone whos programmed in.