About the recycling bin and hard drive?

Ok I have two questions that kind of tie in together. Firstly on my laptop I have the drive partitioned into two. One is 177 GB labelled Windows (C:) and the other is 264 GB labelled Data (D:). Now I am currently in the process of downloading a huge file,138.46 GB to be exact, not all at once but over the span of this week I should have most if not all of it. I am quite concerned though about my computer. My question is could my computer crash due to the excessive amount of data being used? Will my computer be fine regardless of how much I've downloaded? I've got about 119 GB free on Data D ( where 40 GB of the 138 has already been downloaded) so I should have about 21 GB or so left once it's done. Windows C has 131 GB free and that is all fine. But I'm still downloading a huge file and it will take up alot of space so I am concerned. I'll only have 202 GB (I deleted some stuff to free up space, hence where the 50 GB extra comes) left out of 441GB with a massive 138.46 GB file on it.

Secondly, I was in the process of deleting files to free up space. And I deleted about 30 GB's worth. Now I left a further 20 GB in recycling bin, files that I might delete in the future but I wanted their just in case I changed my mind. They vanished and I'm positive I didn't delete them. Could my recycling bin have removed them on its own because of the excessive amount of space I'm using or am I just being stupid? Because I'm sure I didn't delete that 20 GB.

I appreciate anyone who reads my questions and answer them thoughtfully and concisely (something I have alot of problems with). If you don't have a serious answer please refrain from answering my question, however stupid it may be I don't need to be told that.

I'm also abit unsure if I've put my question in the right place, so if I haven't please redirect me to where I can get an answer if its the wrong place/don't know the answer.

Thankyou.

• Elgg
    Favorite Answer

filling your drive dont matter at all, i mean it will be fine but its recommended to keep around 10% of its max capacity empty as it might get a bit slower with that much on it then (for temp folders and similar)

i never had any problem at all myself with filled drives http://i.imgur.com/YmXk7.jpg

as far as i know for the trash bin, some files are too big to save and rather then moved to the trash bin they will be deleted at once (as either way everything you move there is for the reason to be removed, remember when they are in the trash bin they havent gone anywhere and they are still taking space on your drive

not sure if there is a limit to how much there can be in the trash bin before it removes things itself but i think i read somewhere its like 10 or 20% before it will remove stuff from it (of the total partition/harddrive) ofc as i said im not sure i just think i read something like that somewhere i could be wrong about that

The hard drive really won't care how much data is on it, you could fill up 10EB (Exabytes) in one day if you had that many files (not to mention a drive of that size), and the drive wouldn't know the difference, so don't be concerned about that. As far as the Recycle Bin goes, I've never heard of it deleting files at random, though I wouldn't put it beyond it's capabilities. In the event that you elect you still need some of the data you've deleted, you can recover it with Piriform's application "Recuva", even after its been through the Recycle Bin, and seemingly off the hard drive (the time this data is kept is limited, once the data is overwritten, it becomes more and more difficult to resurrect).

Source(s): CS major.. nerd.. go-to guy for IT... all of the above.

you're computer will not crush down.. but it will process slower than usual, depending on what type of processor you are using.

you're recycle bin has a setting that can automatically erase everything inside it at a given period of time. check your settings.