Why can't my drill make a hole in wood?

I'm updating a built-in bookcase in my 1931 home and my drill won't make a hole in the wood. I want to add pegs for floating shelves and was able to make some holes, but mostly the wood gets chewed up or nothing happens but the drill bit making no headway. I changed drill bits twice in case the bit was... show more I'm updating a built-in bookcase in my 1931 home and my drill won't make a hole in the wood. I want to add pegs for floating shelves and was able to make some holes, but mostly the wood gets chewed up or nothing happens but the drill bit making no headway. I changed drill bits twice in case the bit was worn or I needed a stronger one, but neither change helped. Is it my drill (it is old)? Do I need a different drill bit? I tried a (new) normal bit and a carbon one. Is there something better? Can wood become petrified in 80 years? It seems like the wood is just too dense for the drill bit if that makes any sense. Thanks.
Update: Thanks everyone for the quick answers! I'm new here. Didn't think I would hear back so fast!!! I'll check for the direction. And that makes sense about the drill bits for metal. That was my next choice.
Update 2: The results are in! Thank you everyone who gave me an answer. You were all correct. I checked the drill and there's a lever in front of where my hand goes and I didn't realize it, but I must have moved it at some point. My drill bit was spinning counterclockwise as you all suspected...haha. You're... show more The results are in! Thank you everyone who gave me an answer. You were all correct. I checked the drill and there's a lever in front of where my hand goes and I didn't realize it, but I must have moved it at some point. My drill bit was spinning counterclockwise as you all suspected...haha. You're awesome!!! It may seem like a small thing but I've been struggling with this issue for a couple months and was very discouraged. I can now finish the renovation of my bookcases.