what is the difference between pure sine wave inverter and portable inverter?

I have a 40watts solar panel, and I saw a flyer telling to use pure sine wave inverter, what I have now is a portable inverter, do I really need to replace it with pure sine wave inverter or what I have is enough, i'm just running 2 18watts light bulb. I also use 2SM car battery. please help. Thanks

Favorite Answer

You can get away with a normal inverter for light bulbs - you do not need a sine wave inverter. The main difference between the two types is the quality of the AC wave that is generated. Normal inverters make kind of a ragged sine wave which is ok for some applications (like light bulbs). Sine wave types are better for critical applications like powering computers or other electronic equipment.

Power inverters convert low voltage direct current (DC) power from a car outlet or battery to the alternating current (AC) power required by most power tools and home appliances. Inverters are classified as pure sine wave or modified sine wave.

Sine Wave

The power supplied to homes is relatively close to an ideal sine wave. Pure sine wave inverters are designed to emulate this power and, in some cases, provide an even better waveform than the utility company.

Portable Sine Wave

Other inverters that use less elaborate switching and filtering circuitry are classified as modified sine wave inverters. The frequency and voltage of their outputs may vary and contain some noise and distortion.

Source(s): googlemedicaltranscription.com

?