What do you think about humans being omivores/herbivores?

Okay, first of, I'm a meat eater, but I obviously eat fruit/vegatable matter aswell. I support of the humans eating meat, but what I don't support, is when the animals are physically hurt, and left in pain to die, for example slitting the animals throat alive, and leaving it to die, instead of killing it quickly, and humanely first. Aslong as I know that the companys I'm getting my meat from kill their animals humanely, I'm happy. Okay so lets get onto peoples opinions on whether we are meat eaters and vegatable, or just vegatable.

Okay first off, lets see evidence of humans being herbivores:

1. We do not have the natrual ability to kill prey for food - although we can with weapons.

2. We have similar teeth to herbivors

3. We have not got the ability to eat raw meat like herbivores.

4. What is it? something to do with our intestine and the herbivores intestine, with the fact they are the same opposed to carvivorous animals.

Their is probably more, but I don't know them all.

Why we should be omnivores:

1. Like I said about us not having the ability to bring down large prey like lions/tigers bears do, we do have the ability to catch some prey natrually, without weapons, for example we could catch something like a squirell, or a bird, or we could catch small types of monkeys if we was lightning fast, with a bit of practise, this could be very easy for humans.

2. Also unlike all other herbivorous animals, we cannot eat grass, you go out on a survival mission and try living on grass like other herbivores, see what happens - you'd die.

3. We have what I like to call the 'petite canine' - carnivorous animals have canines, unlike herbivores, and instead of having all flat vegatable chomping teeth like most herbivores, we have small canine like teeth, like carnivores.

So what do you guys think?

Personally I do believe we are natrual herbivores, but I also believe we are born natrually to eat meat if we need to. If a human got stranded in the middle of know where on an island, they would struggle to leave without having some meat in their diet.

Finaly,please support each others opinion, and no arguing!! :)

So what do you think?

Favorite Answer

who cares... move along.

Your point about herbivorous animals not having canine teeth is false. The gorilla, a herbivorous animal, has significantly larger canine teeth than humans. On this basis, therefore, the rather feeble canine teeth that many humans have can't be taken as evidence that we are somehow 'meant' to be killing and eating animals.

I've previously written a response to the 'meant to eat meat' type of argument here: http://mb27.blogspot.com/2011/09/reflecting-upon-a...

• Humans are not as big of meat eaters as people think.

*If* we were as much of a meat eater as bears, the fat couldn't have been digested quickly enough with our current body structure, and we would've killed our arteries. I'm not saying people eating as much meat as a bear does - simply weight-to-food ratio.

Also, SCIENTIFIC testing on early human skulls finds only plant material - no meat! Dang, I wish it was on the internet somewhere. I do believe it was in NG magazine or something along those lines.

Take a look at a true omnivore's teeth - such as bears and an herbivore's like a horse. Compare those to OUR teeth. Our "canine" teeth aren't even sharp enough to tear through meat, why do you think knifes were invented in the first place? Would a human naturally be born with a knife? I don't think so.

http://www.healthy-soul.com/herbivores.html <<Non-Vegans need to take a look at that sometime. :)

IMO? Humans are opportunistic omnivores, we eat meat when necessary, but if we WERE to get stuck on a deserted island, most of us would go for a coconut before we went for an animal too fast (like rabbits, lizards, birds, almost any small animal small enough for it to be physically possible to take down).

It doesn't matter what humans have "evolved" to eat. You can't say that since humans can't eat grass, then we're "natural" omnivores. Humans have the ability to decide what we eat. We can read information and CHOOSE whether we're omnivores or herbivores. We can replace meat with other foods and still be healthy.

We're omnivores. Period. I didn't change species just because I'm vegan.

Yea, we use weapons to kill prey. Otters use stones to open clams. So?

We have omnivorous teeth.

We can eat raw meat, we choose not to

Our intestines are in between that of herbivores and carnivores. I got this from Bill Nye the Science Guy. Don't refute that. Bill Nye is never wrong ;)

We hunt in packs, yea, so do wolves, to bring down large prey.

There's many foods that we can eat that other animals can't, and vice versa. That has no bearing on our general foods.

Herbivores also have come canines. They use it for opening nuts.

I personally don't see the point in arguing over whether or not we're meant to be herbivores or should eat the omnivore diet. I don't care. I have the luxury of being able to sustain myself on a plant based diet, and I choose to act on that. If I were a nomad in Mongolia, I'd eat meat. But my ancestors lived in an agrarian society, and that society was able to sustain itself eating plants, so I sustain myself eating only plants. I don't HAVE to eat animals, so I CHOOSE not to. My grandparents lived well into their 80s on a plant based diet, and they had rather lousy exercise and eating habits (they really should have ate a larger proportion of veggies than grains).

Is it completely natural to completely abstain from eating meat? Well, is is natural to eat sodium benzoate? We make compromises in living in society, and this is one that I choose to make. It's pointless to argue whether or not we're meant to eat meat, biologically speaking. I can survive without it, as can others, so I know it's possible and choose that course. Others see it as a necessity. I don't argue with them. I don't care. I'd never, ever argue that I'm vegan per biology, because that's not a good reason to be one. http://www.veganoutreach.org/articles/healthargume...

It's great that you're trying to get your meat as ethically as possible. I applaud your efforts to reduce your impact on creating suffering in this world. Eating a plant based diet is mine. The important thing is that we respect each other's choices, and I don't see how arguing about whether or not evolutionary we're supposed to be omnivores or herbivores is utilitarian to respecting each other.

I think questions like this are only going to start up arguments. But if you must know, humans are natural herbivores, but opportunistic omnivores. In the case there is no other food to eat besides meat, we will eat meat.

Source(s): Vegan.
  • Bilbo

Humans are omnivores - similar to chimps and other primates.

The kind of argument you put forward is frankly irrelevant -

as hunter-gatherers humans will eat whatever is available.

The crucial point is humans can choose to eat, or not to eat, meat -

but it is an intellectual rather than a physiological decision.

• Daisy

First, you completely contradict yourself. You say we're natural herbivores, but then say we're bron to eat meat. Herbivores don't eat meat.

You also said:

"1. We do not have the natural ability to kill prey for food - although we can with weapons.

2. We have similar teeth to herbivores

4. What is it? something to do with our intestine and the herbivores intestine, with the fact they are the same opposed to carnivorous animals.

Their is probably more, but I don't know them all."

They're mostly wrong. Just more vegan lies. You obviously don't buy into some of them; why buy into all of them.

1. yes we can catch animals

2. We have teeth similar to carnivores AND herbivores. That's why we're omnivores.

3. Yes, we can eat raw meat. Steak tare tare is an expensive raw beef dish. Many people love sushi...raw fish.

4. We have evolved as omnivores: capable of eating meat or veggies. There's no argument in the scientific community. The only argument is from veg*ns and animal rights groups who lie for a living.

Why do they lie? They want your money! Join PETA, donate to HSUS, support PCRM, buy Tshirts and videos, buy tickets to their seminars. They're no different than any other organization. They want your $$$$.

Killing animals isn't the bad part.

ITS ABOUT HOW THE ANIMALS LIVE THERE LIFE, not how there killed.

If I was a pig, Id rather live my life freely, and be ripped apart by a wolf, then live my entire life in a shitty factory farm, and then be killed painlessly. (which doesn't actually happen, its not painless)

Lol

Humans can kill animals without weapons.

We have similar teeth to omnivores because we are omnivores.

Humans can and do eat raw meat.

Our intestines are similar to omnivores because we are omnivores.

I have never figured out why people want to compare us to herbivores or carnivores, but not to omnivores.

We are omnivores.