How to write a letter of explanation to a lender about credit counseling on credit report?

I am in the process of obtaining a loan. Everything is going great, and we have a conditional approval, but they have asked i explain why i was in credit counseling program with a credit card company. The explanation is easy.. i used to live beyond by means.. i got married, grew up.. now i don't, so i got with... show more I am in the process of obtaining a loan. Everything is going great, and we have a conditional approval, but they have asked i explain why i was in credit counseling program with a credit card company. The explanation is easy.. i used to live beyond by means.. i got married, grew up.. now i don't, so i got with a credit counselor to assist me in making it possible to pay off this debt within a few years, rather than haggle with them on my own. Essentially, i got serious about getting debt free and for almost 2 years i have a perfect payment history.

So, I guess I'm wondering if there is any underwriters or loan folks who have an idea exactly what to write and how much info i should give them... i heave read "keep it short and to the point", and also "explain everything, don't be shy"... so which would you rather see come across your desk?

Also, if unsatisfied with my letter (as in i don't explain enough...) will they ask for more or am I screwed?
3 answers 3