Terminated from job for using a customer gift card, how to get a new job?

It was a stupid, stupid impulsive action that I regret with every fiber of my being but I don't want it to punish me for the rest of my life. The gift card was only for $25 dollars and I believe I mentioned a $10 card as well (used roughly the same time) at the time I was terminated...they told me they... show more It was a stupid, stupid impulsive action that I regret with every fiber of my being but I don't want it to punish me for the rest of my life. The gift card was only for $25 dollars and I believe I mentioned a $10 card as well (used roughly the same time) at the time I was terminated...they told me they wouldn't press charges but I'm not sure how I should go about filling in applications from this point on.

The situation was that the cards were left behind by customers, who had been long gone for about an hour or so. Impulsively I thought I should go ahead and take them, then use them at the gas pumps. They did their background checking, found out the people with the cards were at my register and had recorded them being used. Pulled me in, I admitted to my wrongdoing and I was promptly let go...

I'd really like to get back in retail, I enjoyed that life and all the desire to do anything as idiotic as that again has vanished. Do I have ANY chance to return to retail now? I'm banned from the corporation apparently but does that prevent me work at other retail chains? In addition, what about different types of jobs like fast food restaurants? I'm debating leaving my last job out of applications but I really hate lying, I also don't want to be refused work for being honest about why I was terminated...

Any help is really appreciated, I've already lost too much from my poor choice (marriage, home, kids)...now I'm trying to rebuild. Please...anyone.