Is my younger sister emotionally abusive?

My sister is three years younger than me. Ever since we were little she has always been very passive aggressive while I always preferred to solve my problems through direct confrontation. For as long as I can remember we have had a relationship that flip-flopped from being very close to absolutely hating each... show more My sister is three years younger than me. Ever since we were little she has always been very passive aggressive while I always preferred to solve my problems through direct confrontation. For as long as I can remember we have had a relationship that flip-flopped from being very close to absolutely hating each other. As we grew older the problems between us seemed to dissipate but then I moved out for several years and we didn't speak. However, I lost my job recently and my parents have allowed me to move back in with them until I can get back on my feet. My sister is visiting for the summer from college and the hostility we showed to each other as kids has not gone away with age. In fact it has gotten far worse.

As of now I am 22 and she is 19. As soon as she got here I realized that something was wrong. She would be sociable and nice and sweet one moment and a monster the next. She begs me to hang out with her but when I do I am constantly subject to criticism and ridicule. She calls me names, humiliates and belittles me in front of people and then tells me that I'm being a baby when I ask her to stop or tell her that she's being too harsh.

Often when we reminisce on our childhood I will say something that I remember and she will immediately insist that the event never happened and that my memory is faulty. That or she will tell me that I remembered the event wrong and tell others in the room a completely different version of the story that makes no sense, but makes her look better. After either of these scenarios she will verbally doubt my sanity even though I have excellent recall and remember the events as clear as day.

Upon becoming fed up with her poor attitude and the way she had begun to treat me I decided to just ignore her. It didn't last long. She began barging into my room without knocking to ask if I wanted to hang out and when I said no she would insult me and accuse me of being anti-social or addicted to my computer/sketchbook/reading/whatever I happened to be doing at the time. Upon making her angry she would continue to come into my room unannounced accuse me of stealing something from her and then begin to tear the place apart looking for any series of objects that would later be found throughout the house or in her own room. It became so bothersome that I once yelled at her and shoved her out of my room. After this she went crying to my mother. While I was away at my new job they BOTH searched my room unsuccessfully.

This continued to happen on a regular basis and every time I would try to defend myself directly I would be criticized and insulted and accused of causing trouble.

When I am away all day at work she sits on her *** and plays video games. When I come home tired and wanting some alone time she clamors to me for attention. I've given up trying to be away from her because she will only cause drama if I don't pay attention to her and I am too exhausted to fight back. It has been almost three months of this and because of her I have no time to write or paint or talk to friends. Most of my friends I have to communicate with online since I had to move out of state to live with my parents.

I feel like she should be more mature than this. I feel like she should be old enough to act in a more civil and polite manner. I feel like as the older sister I should somehow be more dominant but apparently I'm not. I don't understand what I am doing to deserve this. Yet even though I am the older sister I am afraid of standing up to her anymore because it will do no good. My mother and father do nothing because we are big girls, she is the good, virgin, christian girl and I am the wild, punk, rock-star, party girl.

What I want to know is: Is this just normal sibling rivalry or has this extended into abuse and what should I do if it has?