is the flute REALLY different from the recorder?

the notes are very different and sounds so different like the flute thing is high while the recorder is different.lol .. or i am just to stupid. :/ ???

Any suggestions?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They sound different because they are different instruments. That's quite a common phenomenon among musical instruments!

The descant and tenor recorders will have fingering that resembles (but is not the same as) a flute without keys (ie all holes covered will sound a 'C'). The sopranino, treble and bass recorders are pitched in 'F' rather than the 'C' of the descant and tenor, which means the fingering will seem quite different (as they sound 'F' with all holes covered).

Is this what you are asking?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Yes to the first part--different(as to how smart you are I do not know...so I will leave that one since

I am a great believer in the saying that "there is no such thing as a stupid question"..

Save some time, look up flute and then recorder in wikipedia or some encyclopaedia.

Also, note the diffderences for yourself when you handle and or try to play them.

Quite often, depnding on the tone and the range used, some flute notes can sound like recorder or even clarinet notes--the recorder is less versatile and the mouthpiece is pretty well set when you blow into it.

The flute--let's talk about the common concert C flute that is a tranverse air hole--depends upon the embouchure and air stream and angle of the player to create the diversity which sometimes may even sound the same or similar to notes from a few other instruments. I could write pages on this bnut do go to the expanded definitions and histories as I suggested and you will have a good

interesting read that is probably clear and well written.

Irvin

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

The major difference between a modern concert flute and any sized recorder is the mechanism/keywork. Both instruments are said to be "chromatic" instruments, which means that they can play pitches the same distance apart as the black and white keys on the piano (C-C#-D-Eb-E...etc.). The major difference comes in the facility to play these pitches in succession. Since the recored has only holes, or very limited keywork, it is much more difficult to play chromatically without being able to use cross fingerings and half-hole fingerings. On the flute, the advanced key system allows the player to use a standard set of fingerings to play each note, and the key work does the work for the you.

Here's an example of the difference:

If you play a Ab in the middle of the treble staff on each instrument, it is fingered like this:

Recorder: T XXO | XXO

Flute: T XXX Ab | OOO

On the flute, you simply finger a "G" and open a key designed to vent and produce an "Ab". On the recorder, you finger an "A" and shadow lower tone holes to 'trick' the instrument into playing an Ab. This gets really difficult, especially in hairy key signatures.

The other major difference, as mentioned above, is the method of sound production, or Fipple vs. Blow hole.

The flute is capable of many different tone qualities, based upon the shape and tension of the player's lips. It can have a bright, or breathy tone quality, or a dark, almost reedy one. On the recorder, the tone is 'set' by the way the fipple/block is set by the maker. The material of the instrument also affects this, where recorders can be many types of wood or plastic, and the flute can be made of nickel, silver, gold, or even platinum.

After all, you can look at it like this:

The recorder has been around much longer than the modern Boehm system flute. The modern flute is merely an advancement on the idea presented by the recorder. It's like choosing to drive a Renault after having driven a Ford Festiva for years. :)

• Alice
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

A clarinet would be a better comparison with a recorder.

But they are both woodwind instruments and require you to blow into them.

A modern flute and a recorder is different as well. A flute typically would be made mainly of some sort of metal, while a recorder would be made out of cheap quality plastic or wood.

Although they have a few similarities altogether they are completely two different instruments.

They sound completely different as well... :3 lol get ready for epicness... I hate this song, but the only one i can find with flute and recorder covers in 5 minutes XD

Recorder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL2sffgYXwY

Youtube thumbnail

Flute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7kKCCwZRys

Youtube thumbnail

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Nancy
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

It's similar in the sense that you blow into it and cover holes to change notes, but that's about the end of the similarity. For one, you blow straight into a recorder, like a clarinet. On a flute, you blow across the top like a pop bottle. A flute has many more, and much more complicated, keys and holes than a recorder.

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

is the flute REALLY different from the recorder?

the notes are very different and sounds so different like the flute thing is high while the recorder is different.lol .. or i am just to stupid. :/ ???

Any suggestions?

Source(s): flute recorder: https://shortly.im/mt2Zq
  • 10 years ago

Along with what Del has told you, the material and size used to construct the instrument, the conical bore of a recorder verses the straight tube of a flute, the method of producing sound; blowing through a fipple mouthpiece v. across a lip plate all add to make the sound different.

• 5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axyWb

i know theres like a beginner, intermediate, and expert flute. the expert flutes and maybe intermediate have holes in the keys. the beginner flute's holes are covered. thats all i know. i hope i helped a little bit! lol

• Hagen
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

flute recorder

• 10 years ago

well you hold a flute sideways.... and there's many other aspects that make it different too... so yes.... its really different.... basically the only thing recorder and flute have in common is that you blow into a mouthpiece to make a sound....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.