What is the sharp, stabbing pain on left hand side of back?

All of a sudden I have sharp, stabbing pain in the middle, left hand side of my back. It is near my waist line(but in the back, and actual waist line not low cut jeans waist line). It comes and goes, when the stabbing part happens it feels like my entire mid section completely tenses up and it becomes hard to breathe. I have never experienced pain like this is my life. It is a 10 during the worst part. If I don't move the pain is still there but a throbbing. I'm starting to get scared.

Favorite Answer

It could be a bunch of stuff, some more serious than others - you could have kidney stones, a urinary tract infection, inflammation of your colon (colitis), pancreatitis, or, if you're a female, a problem with your ovaries, or maybe even an ectopic pregnancy. The best thing for you to do is to go to the hospital and have it checked out.

• rob d

Kidney problems from diabetes? Avoid sugar.

Get the a1c test.

i used to get this, i thought it was my kidneys but it went away... but seriously make sure your drink 8 glasses or water a day...but could be anything