Another "dirty war" for the sake of oil?

British foreign secretary William Hague says Britain will send military advisers to Libya to help rebels, the Associated Press reports.

Of course it may have nothing to do with oil at all......

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Maya R
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

It helps William Hague that Gaddafi is such a monstrous person who has no difficulty killing those that he is supposed to lead.

There is a stalemate because of the inability of the rebels who may have enthusiasm but are not the greatest soldiers or tacticians. So the arrival of "advisors" is vital.

Things may still not work out according to UN plans.

Who knows? Maybe it is about oil after all.

• 10 years ago

Of course it is to do with oil !!

Given the protests when the price of petrol goes up I'm not surprised we're involving the military.

That said, I do think the action taken in Libya is appropriate. Of course, it's motivated by a desire for cheap oil but the aim appears to be to re-stabilise the region. Better for us (cheap oil). Better for the Libyan people (able to take control from Gadaffi)

Better that than making up some **** and bull story about WMDs being ready in 45min.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It's good how they always announce and let people know first ! They will end up like those in Afghanistan and Iraq. Well it keeps them busy and the numbers down. Why hasn't Britain ever gone after Mugabe and into Zimbabwe by the way if so noble against tyrants. NO oil ?

• ?
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Isn`t that the way that the Vietnam War started, with US military advisers helping the South Vietnamese ?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Oil will be a rare commodity sooner rather than later, so i guess world powers are planning for their future. Dirty war is probably the only way to control world oil.

• 10 years ago

Despite what you, and John Geary post, Libya is not an oil-rich country. Nice try.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Does that mean boots on the ground? I thought we couldn't do that. This protection of civilians seems to be ratcheted up a notch every time I turn the tv on.

• ROBERT
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

I say kick their butts and take their oil and enslave the populace. Darwin, the survival of the fittest.

• 10 years ago

Exactally. It's only when we're at stake that US, UK, Canada etc will step in because it effects the oil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.