First Electric Guitar: Thoughts?

I've been in the market for an electric guitar lately, and I'm trying to decide on the type of guitar to purchase. I've looked into all types, brands and designs, and I've come up with a few particular ones I like: Les Pauls & SGs, and Stratocasters & Telecasters. I'm not picky about having an... show more I've been in the market for an electric guitar lately, and I'm trying to decide on the type of guitar to purchase. I've looked into all types, brands and designs, and I've come up with a few particular ones I like: Les Pauls & SGs, and Stratocasters & Telecasters. I'm not picky about having an official Gibson or Fender (or even an Epiphone or Squier for that matter). I'm fine with knock-offs as long as they sound similar. I would prefer something that's budget friendly, as I'm currently a poor college student. As far as playing styles go, I'm a big fan of punk, blues and grunge, and I prefer Rhythm over Lead Guitar. Can you recommend a good starter guitar that would fit most or all of those? I'm fine with search pawn shops, but I would like to know what to look for and what price to aim for. Thanks!
3 answers 3