Is this a Paypal scam (Amazon.com)?

I'm trying to sell new my laptop on Amazon, I got the following email:

"The item is for my colleague as a gift but

she's currently on vacation so i want you to help me post it to her,i'll add $70 for the postage,send me the invoice of the total cost through PayPal to

(she gives her email address) so i can transfer the money asap.

Thanks"

I tell her I would rather do the transaction through Amazon, and she replies:

"Thanks for the reply,i wish we could complete the transaction via amazon but am currently having issues with my credit card on amazon.PayPal is also very safe and secured,you can just setup a PayPal account via their website www.paypal.com and get back to me with the money request via your account to my email so i can transfer the money asap."

So is this a scam? Is giving a money request to her email a bad idea?

~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks guys! That's all I needed to know, that was all very helpful. I figured as much...I'm beginning to think its impossible to sell laptops online, this is the fifth scam I've recieved in a week :(

Favorite Answer

100% scam.

There is no buyer.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your laptop.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be "Paypal" saying "kindly send the tracking number and we will release the funds".

Paypal do NOT send such emails, ever. Paypal do NOT have escrow or money holding services like that scammer describes. Paypal do NOT demand you send a tracking number before money is sent. EVER. No exceptions.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of being the perfect buyer, great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "yahoo buyer's protection program scam", "fake paypal email scam", "ebay escrow fraud" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near victims of this type of scam.

SCAM - they will not pay you with Paypal. They will either send you a spoofed Paypal email but not send money, pay you with Paypal then file a chargeback once the laptop has been sent, or pay you with a hacked account that will be refunded once the real account holder reports the theft

Also, Paypal will NOT protect you if you ship anywhere but the verified Paypal address. The scammers know this. That's why they tell you to send to a "friend" - they will then file a chargeback with Paypal and since you didn't send to the verified Paypal address, Paypal will ALWAYS refund the money to the buyer - no exceptions. You are ONLY protected if you ship to the verified address, in any other case you will be scammed and lose your money and your laptop

Amazon also will not protect you as you are engaging in an off-site transaction if they don't pay through Amazon's site.This is against Amazon's T&C and your account will be closed.

DO NOT accept ANY payments that are not done through Amazon for any reason. don't even bother responding or your name will end up being sold to other scammers as you will be seen as gullible. Wait for another buyer and ignore anyone else contacting you

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want to give away a laptop I'll send you my address.

This is is a total scam. Run as fast and far as you can.

PayPal requires (for you to covered for loss under their policies) that you deliver the product to a "verified" address. This guy wants you to send a laptop to an address that's not verified. It's probably a good address, as a matter of fact, his colleague may even live there. However, when he doesn't receive the laptop at his verified address he can file a claim with PayPal and get all his money back...

In this scenario, you end up losing everything. You don't have a leg to stand on with PayPal (because you can't prove you sent the laptop to the verified address). You lose the laptop and PayPal will do a reversal on your account to refund the money to the buyer.

No buddy DO NOT SHIP THE IPAD. It's a scam! Someone tried that crap with me a couple of years ago. When I asked for the payment they gave me some BS saying that Paypal have it in a holding account. I never received the money so I didn't send the item. Be warned! They are very canny at ripping people off and not so adept at working!

• Fred

Sending her an invoice through paypal shouldn't be a problem

But I don't understand her wanting to add $70 for postage . . . something's up there

Looks Like Kittysue has it nailed though

************BE AWARE***************

This scammer is still at it, I had my MacBook Pro on Amazon, and he messaged me, with the same exact story mentioned above.

Its been 3 years and he hasn't even changed his story!

Be careful..

I told him I would sell him my laptop if he "gifted" me the money on PayPal instead, but of course he wanted an invoice so he could cancel funds after I ship.

WOW...I am so glad I googled this, I received this same message today, and consequently almost fell for it..the minute I saw the address to ship was in Nigeria I knew something was wrong. I am so sick of our disturbed society trying to steal money and property from people...

SCAAAAAMMMMM run away FAST. DO NOT DO IT. They're scammers. Tell 'em to F off !!!!

Search http://scampond.com/ for anything you feel suspicious, no matter what!