Airport strip searches?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
well, i wanted to get on a plane to visit my friend in ms, but i recently read some horrifying articles about an uprise in random strip searches and who the airline people tend to ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
  • ? answered 4 years ago
I think an actual strip search is a very rare thing. what has been raising controversy is the new full body scanners they have started to put into some airports which is a high-tech e ray machine which sees under your clothes and projects the image of your naked body to a screen for them to see. its pretty much a virtual strip search. and you couldnt put a gun to my head and make me go through one of those. if you refuse it then the alternative is a very agressive pat down which really is a feel-up of your whole body. as far as an actual strip search. I doubt that would happen. but if it does, tell them to go to hell. its not worth giving up your modestly to go on a plane. flying has become a very stressful experiance and in my opinion, not worth it anymore. it makes me angry as hell

Asker's Rating & Comment

5 out of 5
see, THATS what i'm scared of. i dont mind scanners, but the actual strip search in another room? i cant do it, and i dont think we should be forced to (unlike a few other people on here) thanks for understand'n tho. i think god's more important than a plane ride. cuz where do you go when you crash?
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (12)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Pandora93 answered 4 years ago
    You can refuse it, but then they look at you nude on the scanner and do a vigorous, as opposed to light, strip search.
    I refuse to do it at all. My daughter's dad died in Tower 1 of the World Trade Center. They had an opportunity to prevent what happened when the World Trade Center was attacked in 1993 and 6 people died. But the loss of 6 lives wasn't enough for them to do anything. They had to wait until 3,000 people died before they would do anything.
    That disgusts me, and I tell them about my former husband, daughter's dad, every time they want to do ANYTHING to me. I still have to do it, but they're at least going to be uncomfortable while they search me.

BTW if you survived the attack, as my friend who worked in the World Trade Center did-he was burned over 80% of his upper body but he lived-they don't search him the same way. He still has to take his shoes off and be what he calls 'wanded' w/ the device they use to see if you're carrying metal devices, but they don't violate him.
    I guess they believe someone who was attacked by terrorists and burned that severely isn't going to be interested in being a terrorist. He was burned so severely they had to amputate body parts and reconstruct his face. It's not a pretty picture.
    Incidentally, he worked with World Trade Exchanges and Hedge Fund profiles. I have no idea what that means, and it has little to do w/ the topic. I just felt like adding what he did for a living.

Source(s):

Personal experience
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Ben W answered 4 years ago
    My friend went to Dubai and had the full cavity search. He was really upset.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • tonalc2 answered 4 years ago
    It's extremely, extremely rare that anyone is given a strip search, and if it is it's behind closed doors. If they have any suspicion, or if you're chosen randomly, they do a *very* thorough search over your clothes over your whole body.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • jesta.drifter answered 4 years ago
    On NPR today they were talking about this and said they can do a "hand search" it used to be the back of hand but now its inside hand and people are complaining.

Dress in full muslim garb and they will let you walk right through lol.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • potatochip answered 4 years ago
    It is very rare for a person to be strip searched as most of the time if a person sets off the metal detector, they just wave a wand over you. However if they really have some suspicions, the TSA can take you to a room to be strip searched. However the person doing the search will be the same sex as you. If you say no, there is a chance you can be denied boarding.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • ? answered 4 years ago
    It is extremely unfortunate that we live in a time where strip searches may be required to insure plane and passenger safety. Should you decide that you must fly in order to get to where you want to go you may want to consider this: You don't like having to get to the airport 3 hours early, you don't like full body scans, you don't want to deal with strip and body cavity searches, you think they've gone over board because its an inconvenience to you. If you have your way this paranoya will be downgraded. Hope so for your sake, so when the guy next to you blows himself up and you lose a leg you will be able to sue the airport, you will be able to sue the airline, the city, the state and you can sue the feds for lack of due dillagence. On the other hand you can bite the bullet and deal with it because it isn't all about you. You know?
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Avatar535 answered 4 years ago
    Most security is set up for volume screening, so you shouldn't have any worries, unless you get picked for a random or you fit a profile. Most of the time you would walk through a metal detector (emptying all metals and small items into a tray- go to airline web page to get a list of unacceptable items) or you will walk through the magnetic imagery scanner and your silhouette appears like an x-ray on the screen in the next room. Quick and painless. Considering what had just happened today Oct 29, security- I am sure is a little tighter. If you do get picked for a manual search, it's nothing personal, you are taken to another room and there is always 2 security people with you for liability reasons. Just be polite and cooperative because they get crap all day long and they are only doing as instructed per protocol for their protection as well as yours. Its the out of norm or bucking the system that brings on further procedures and there was no Bible involved in designing it. Everybody is treated the same via procedure. This is one of those "Give Pontius Pilate what is his" (in all forms). Or take the bus.
    There once was a time we did not worry, That was before the modern Sailing Ship or Air Travel. I mean even around 2000-2002, the whole chem-trail thing also included diluted inoculation form of cold viruses, that were sprayed over cities, because our Gov also realized we needed to learn more of what would happen if the U.S. were attacked by a chem / bio weapon. By tracking the cold/sickness wave through the disease reporting center, they could see how fast our transportation industry and tourist movements would effect the nation during a disease control crisis.
    We are living in High Tech times and a fast pace environment. What would you do to prevent the collapse? And if its too much, people have to be involved and speak up, but don't cause yourself trouble. In your grand-kid's time it will be going 500 times faster. The Biggest thing to teach is always be grounded from and in- where you came from. Its the only thing that keeps the boat from capsizing.

Source(s):

Ex- Reserve Deputy
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • ? answered 4 years ago
    This is not really as common as you might think. I fly twice a week and this has never happened to me even once. Although I wouldn't really care as they'll be doing their job. By the way, nudity is really not a big deal. You'll get used to it so quickly.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • HJW answered 4 years ago
    Whether you are religious or not makes no difference as to being searched or not. You are using public transportation and must abide with rules. If you say # No # you can be stopped from continuing your trip.It all depends on the reason why they want to search you.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • no more answered 4 years ago
    well it doesnt matter if your religuos or not thats a lame excuse for the protection of the other people around you being stripped searched is better than dead and what the heck you might like it.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• animefan answered 4 years ago
    what makes you think they'll give you a strip search?

They won't <.< yeesh
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • lascar answered 4 years ago
    I was strip searched in Tel Aviv, but being in the Middle East and with Israel being one of the most hated countries in the world you can understand their paranoia. Every single person that passes through that airport gets interrogated individually and then with their group, and then every single person has their suitcases and hand luggage searched inside and out. I've never seen anything quite like it and whilst some of my friends found it an annoyance I was overjoyed with the situation... I've never felt safer, knowing every person had been taken to the moon and back to assure watertight security.

It is absolutely and extremely unlikely that you will ever get strip searched without a very good reason in somewhere like the USA, Canada, UK, Germany etc. But if you are, you have to see it as a sign that the security teams are only trying to complete their job of protecting people that fly through their airport.
    • 1
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock