Princess asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

Is it safe to feed your cat raw food (for example fish)?? what are the possible health problems and benefits?

just curious my cat is also used to eating dry cat food and sometimes left overs

• Nancy
    Favorite Answer

I would not do it. There's too much garbage in our food these days. Not that cat food is all that either but there's salmonella and e.coli and all kinds of bacteria. Plus if the cat doesn't finish it off and it sits out for a couple of hours it's gonna spoil. I just wouldn't do it. I don't see any benefits. I have had and known cats to live to be 18, 20 years old eating Friskies.

It's closest to what their body was meant to eat. It's great for their teeth. They do have a stomach/digestive tract built to kill off bugaboos.

I love these pictures - worth a thousand words :)

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...

I personally only feed chicken thighs in supplemental amounts. My cat gets about an ounce a day which is about a third of his diet. He still gets some dry food and some canned food, since I'm not very planful about the raw feeding. I want to make sure he gets the nutrients he needs.. It's definitely his fav part of the day though..

• E-Fox

if you buy from a reliable source and handle the food cautiously, there is little risk. start here: www.rawfedcats.org

But I wouldn‘t really recommend feeding any dry food. Cats are designed to get their water from food. That's the way nature designed them, they have low thirst drive. When fed dry, they won't drink enough to compensate for the lack of moisture. They will only consume about 50% of the water they should be having. This can lead to kidney disease, UTI, crystals, blockage, renal failure and more.

Free feeding also contributes to obesity. And the fact that dry food is over-processed means, that most of it’s little nutrition has been already destroyed, leaving almost no nutrients for your cat. It needs to eat more to meet it’s needs, and in the process consumes more calories from the fillers.

Btw wetting the dry food will not help. There’s bacteria on the kibble and the water would just allow it to grow.

The only way to give the cat it's natural hydration is to feed it wet food only.

But some wet foods are not of a very high quality, either. That goes for most commercial foods. Just like the dry, they are often made with cheap fillers such as corn, wheat, soy, rice etc. These are not a part of cat's natural diet (it’s an obligate carnivore – it eats meat) and they are not designed to digest it. Grain is carbohydrate which the cats can't process and it turns into blood sugar and fat, causing diabetes and obesity. In the wild, where cats only hunt for meat, diabetes and obesity are unheard of. It's us who cause these by feeding a species inappropriate food.

We usually read labels on our food, but rarely on the food for our cats. Learn to read the label and understand the ingredients. The healthiest food to feed apart from raw feeding is grain-free wet food with no by-product. Some good brands are Wellness CORE, EVO, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Blue Buffalo Wilderness and more. These will give your cat the proper hydration and nutrition it's designed to get and it will be strong and healthy.

If you switch it's diet, do it gradually, by mixing the current food with the new one over couple of weeks until there's only the new. This will prevent diarrhea and upset stomach.

You will probably get a lot of different answers, so google feline nutrition or look at the links below, and do the research for yourself. I personally wasn't able to find one reliable source (besides the pet food industry) that would say grain is beneficial for cats or that dry is beneficial for them.

More on cat nutrition below,

Good luck!

• finbar

A raw food diet for cats can be extremely beneficial to their health provided you research fully what they should be fed. There's tons of information online about raw feeding. Check out this website for info about feeding your cat - www.catinfo.org

Feeding dry food and leftovers is not a good diet for cats. If you do decide to change, make sure to switch the diet gradually to avoid upset tum.

Good luck.

Source(s): personal experience - 3 cats who are fed on excellent quality raw and wet and dry food.
  • Ocimom

Yes many people feed raw. However the only raw I would feed and recommend is chicken, stew beef or other wild game. I would never feed raw fish and do not even feed canned/dry cat food that is fish based.

If the cat isn't used to such food then s/he might not want to eat it. It shouldn't affect them, although they may lack fibre if you are just feeding them meat. You can't only feed them lean meat, they need fat as well as protein. If your cat doesn't get outside then they'll need something to replace the grass that they chew on as well.

1

Source(s): Beat Kidney Disease http://teres.info/KidneyHealth/?265v

Did you tested out Eating for Energy (120 raw food diet recipes) mechanism? Try on this website : http://StayEatingRaw.com/Tutor . This might definitely help you!

• Inga

Hi, I was just talking to my vet about this. She told me that she has to treat loads of problems associated with raw diets including teeth problems, digestive problems, and e.coli and salmonella.

thats ok