Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 years ago

Do you think the legal drinking age in America should be lowered to 18?

I think that it should be lowered for the following reasons:

1. In America you can join the military and die for your country when you are 18

2.you are an official adult when you are 18

3. you can vote when you are 18

4. on other countries, you can drink when you are 18 and they are just fine

Favorite Answer

I don't believe it should. why? because your brain doesn't stop growing until you're 20/21 (I believe its 20, but I'm not sure) The part that isn't finished growing? your decision making skills.. that's why most gansters join gangs when they're young; before they're 20.

I think it should because criminalizing it has little effect in accomplishing deterrence. Maybe they can find a neutral ground and decriminalize consumption after the age of 18, I think that would be a fair compromise.

College students drink alcohol, it's no secret, they're under 21 for the most part. Labeling them a criminal isn't really a solution.

The majority of Americans unfortunately still believe deterrence works. How many young adults do you know who say I don't drink because it's illegal? If anything, such laws make youth revolt against laws which leads to further law breaking.

• Mutt

No. Too many 21 year olds think that "having a good time" means getting falling down drunk. Lower the drinking age to 18, and you only lower the age that these people get falling down drunk to have a good time.

Also, most high school seniors are 18 before they graduate. Do you want to have more kids going to high school hung over or even drunk?

They should lower it to 16. If your treated like an adult, you act like an adult.

Valid points, however, other countries youth isnt as stupid, irresponsible, and ignorant as America's. Therefore, NO, I dont think it should be lowered.

yeh i agree it should be 18 its a load of crap.

i think they should

its dumb that we can risk our life, but we cant legally have an alcoholic drink

answer mine anyone?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Au7GG...

yes,.