Clinical psychology vs. counseling psychology? HELP!?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
can someone give me a detailed differentiation between clinical psychology and counseling psychology? in terms of their approach when on field, what exactly they specialize in ...show more
Best Answer
I don't want to be obnoxious but it sounds like you can find this information in career catalogs. My best advice is to contact your local university career counselor and they will be able to provide in-depth information about what you are looking for. As far as availability goes, you can do job searches for either career and compare which one you would like the most.
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (4)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • !Melody answered 4 years ago
    Clinical Psychology is a specialty of Psychology that requires a Ph.D. This track of Psychology is very competitive and is much more prestigious in the field of Psychology. Clinical Psychologists have a heavy background in studying pathology as well as diagnosis and treatment (counseling). Counseling Psychology is a track of psychology that can be pursued in the Educational Psychology department and can be achieved with a Master's degree and a state board test resulting in being licensed. Those people (counseling psychology with the credentials) can then identify themselves as therapists. Their specialty, although courses in abnormal psychology, are mostly learning specific counseling theories, techniques and skills.

Clincial Psychology -> Psychologists; Counseling Psychology -> Therapists, however, clinical psychologists can call themselves therapists and therapists can hold a Ph.D. There is a lot of overlapping and interchangeable terminology.

Edit: In general, clinical psychologists are paid more by virtue of their credentials, however, there is quite a bit of variance depending on the entrepreneurial talents and self-marketing skills of the individuals after they are done with their education and training. It also depends on the area of the country and economic stability of the country how lucrative are these professions.

Source(s):

L.P.C. - licensed professional counselor (ie I have a Master's degree in Educational Psychology and am licensed from my state board of professional counselors)
    • Comment
  • Jade answered 4 years ago
    I don't know about the US, but in Canada, there really is no difference between the two. A counselling program can have very "clinical" practicums and such but it really depends on the school's theoretical and practical orientation.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • CONSULTANT PSYCHOLOGIST answered 4 years ago
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • unknown answered 4 years ago
    clinical psychology takes more years in school.. and they work with mentally ill people, and they USED to be able to prescribe meds, but that's what psychiatrists are mainly for now. counseling psychologists don't require as much schooling or have the same benefits as clinical psychologists. they just usually work in places like schools or their own private practices and stuff. could be problems like divorce or stress or stuff like that. depends what you want to do with it.

Source(s):

psych major and did senior project in high school on psychologists.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block