Best City for Public Transportation?

So, basically, I will be getting my degree within 6 months, and I will have a job that allows me to live in any city of the U.S., no matter how expensive the cost of living is. I am a mother of a 1 1/2 year old, and I'm looking for a city that has AMAZING public transportation (clean, safe, goes everywhere, etc.). I do not want to be dependent on a car, but I have lived in cities where waiting at a bus stop meant putting your life in danger. Ideally, I'd like to be able to take my son to school and on errands via public transportation without having to worry about our safety.

Also, do you know of any cities that are generally good places to raise a kid? I'm not looking for small town U.S.A., either- I would like to be close to good art museums, zoos, good schools, etc.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that both San Francisco and Portland are not possibilities.

Oh, and Canada (ie Vancouver/Ontario)is a possibility, as well.

Best Answer

Especially since you don't want San Francisco or Portland, you're basically describing New York City. Very extensive transit (bus and subway), one of the safest big cities in the country, and it does have good art museums, zoos, and schools, and you don't need a car.

New York City has by far the best public transportation in the US. Other good cities are Boston, Chicago and Washington DC.

seems to me you need to be looking at moving to Europe