What's the best paint to use for painting a wooden fence?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I actually prefer using exterior latex semi-transparent stain on outdoor wood projects.

Water-base for great clean-up, it can be mixed in many colors, goes on easily, lasts for many years and does not peel and chip like paint does over time.

You may need primer first before painting.

Painting outdoor projects requires periodic scraping and sanding off of loose and peeling paint before repainting.

With stain, when the stain starts to lighten or after 5-8 years, you just apply another coat, no scraping off chipping paint.

Check out Home Depot or Lowes for semi-transparent stain, water base.

I like Olympic Premium exterior acrylic semi-transparent latex stain... http://www.olympic.com/Stain/Find_Products/semi_ac...

If you decide to paint, use Valspar Duramax. It too is latex, goes on beautifully and can be mixed in many colors.

Whatever you use, get the best quality paint/stain you can afford because it will make a big difference. Always use exterior latex for outdoor projects.

Source(s): Proifessional Painter
  • 1 decade ago

An outdoor paint with high adhesion but sand down the surface first. Sico makes an excellent qualilty exterior paint, it's expensive and worth every penny.

• 1 decade ago

NEVER paint! Too much maintenance.

Stain it. It now comes in all colors.

• Ramsey
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Cuprinol, Garden Shades. I have used this lots of times, it is very easy to put on, stays on for years and comes in some great colours :-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.