What is a good beginners SLR camera for someone who wants to get into photography?

I have recently discovered a personal passion for photography I never knew I had after recently taking some photos and realising that they were pretty good... but the quality was awful! At the moment I have a standard £70 everyday digital camera, but would love to take the next big step up to buying an SLR... show more I have recently discovered a personal passion for photography I never knew I had after recently taking some photos and realising that they were pretty good... but the quality was awful!

At the moment I have a standard £70 everyday digital camera, but would love to take the next big step up to buying an SLR camera!

As a complete beginner to SLR cameras I would love too have some recommendations of a good beginners SLR camera. I have spent countless hours researching this on the internet, only to find too many recommendations! I really don't know which one to buy!

I did come across the Canon EOS 400D but I believe this is not for sale anymore? But heard that it was a very good beginners camera?

Thankyou in advance for all your help.