How many megapixels would you think our eyes have?

if a great camera has 10 megapixels or more, what about our eyes?

NOTE:

As I see in the comments, some of you think that I'm asking this question literally or thinking that I think that our eyes see in pixels. What I'm only asking is how many megapixels do you think our eyes have considering that our eyes don't see in pixels.

• Jens
    Favorite Answer

Our eyes don't have the same resolution all over them, they get their maximum resolution only in a very small part of the eye. That's why we humans have to directly look at some text in order to be able to read it - we cannot read a text of the same size if it's just somewhere at the edge of the field of vision.

Both the resolution of lenses and human eyes can be measured by how fine lines they can discern, e.g. measured in lpm (lines per arc minute). That can be translated into megapixels if one assumes an image that covers the full field of vision of a human who is not allowed to turn his head.

I think i read somewhere that this would boil down to about 50-60 megapixel. In reality however that resolution would only be achieved on a small part of it at a time though, the part that one is directly looking on. The rest would be at a significantly lower resolution.

The eye uses receptors that are much smaller than image resolution, so just counting receptors would not be "equivalent". Also unlike a camera, resolution is varies greatly the-field-of view, with only general shapes resolvable in peripheral vision. In the link, they estimate about 300 -- 500 megapixels. The link also estimates an equivalent ISO of 800. These numbers make the human eye one damn good camera, equivalent to the finest astronomical CCD, although not quite as fast. A $2000 high-end consumer digital SLR, by comparison, only has 13-15 megapixels.

Your question made me ponder the same thing.

I read part of this and it's kinda confusing. But it does give answers sorta =)

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/eye-resolut...

If you read the section "how many megapixel equivalent does the eye have?", You'll read that if we see things from out eye in a 90 degree by 90 degree area, then that's approx 324 megapixels.

I'm actually very familiar with how we see on a neurological level and I'm not sure it works as straightforwardly as you want it to. For one thing the brain and the eyes are two diffrent systems that do not work independently nor dependently. Sight can be broken down into a labyrinth of multiple systems. You can be "cortically blind" which means your eyes are fine but you can't see. If I were to throw something at the person they would duck or catch it, even though they legitimately can not see anything. They are blind for all intents and purposes.

Sight can be broken down almost infinity, but the three main divisions are color, form and motion. which filter out into two main streams, ventral and dorsal. The what and the where detectors. We process biological motion and color close to our emotional centers which implies emotion is involved in them. There is an area where if the right damage occurs you will refuse to put your pants on one leg, and try to throw the leg out of bed, swearing it is not yours but some strange leg is in your bed!

The biggest problem with trying to compare them is that we see like a movie. We do not see in stills. Even within only the form processing areas it's too complex. I believe your real question is what will it take for pictures to look like what we see in real life? I would argue that pictures are currently sharper and more detailed than we can see in real life. But nothing will ever look as real as it does in real life because your brain will not let it. Optical quality is one thing but we have systems in place to recognize other humans, inanimate vs animate, etc. No matter how great a picture or movie looks you will not come close to being fooled into thinking it's real enough. A picture will always only be a picture.

Impossible to measure, considering our eyes don't view our surroundings in pixels.

• keerok

None. Our eyes don't work the same way as the digital sensor does.

1 million gigapixels is not enough, its imposible to compare something that was created by the men with

a beautiful device created by God

Probably thirteen of fourteen.