anyone know of a friendly, affordable city where public transportation is in abundance?

im a southern girl who moved near new york city for the public transportation and i hate it here but i dont own a car to enable me to live in a public transportation free city. any ideas?

Best Answer

The top two (other than New York) are Chicago and Washington DC.

Most cities have some sort of public transit these days. Often it slows down during non-peak hours and often stops entirely by 2 am.

I don't drive either and public transit is on the top of my list when it comes to relocation.

Look for cities that have BOTH buses and a mass transit rail system. Chicago and Washington both fit this prerequisite.

I have lived in both cities (NYC too) and I prefer Chicago.

One can get by in a smaller city, but it's all about LOCATION!

Finding someplace where most of your necessities are within a block or two of your residence. Finding such a spot with a bus stop at your front door is all the better!

Unless one is independently wealthy, these days I wouldn't consider relocation unless I had a job offer in my hot little hands!

That's hard to find, I live in a city where the public news announced that transportation would be near impossible to have available, and I live in Colorado, So if anything, you know not to come here.

Go to San Francisco and ride the Trolley Cars.

Olympia, Washington!

It's where I live. It's like Seattle, but a lot smaller (and cheaper). There are tons of bus routes and the people are really nice.

It's really liberal here though. haha so yeah, you'd have to deal with that if you are conservative or something.

San Diego is fantastic.

Great light rail that takes you to the Mexican border if you like!!

• John L

Portland Oregon has good transit and seemed very livable when I've visited there

Toronto, ON or maybe Brampton, ON?