Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

How should i take care of a newborn baby rabbit without its mother?

I found a baby rabbit & my dog killed its mom & all its siblings but this one lived. I have been feeding it newborn milk i got from the pet store & i have been keeping it in a box with a blanket. It was the runt of the litter so it is really small it is only 3 or 4 days old. Everyone keeps saying it probably wont survive but i am hoping it will. I was just wondering if there was anything else i should do for it.

Favorite Answer

that is a shame for that little bunny but the first ting you should do is to take the rabbit to the vets to clear unwanted pest on your rabbits like lice and flees and the vet could also give him/her an injection or 2 becouse he is a wild rabbit and may need his vhd or myxamotosis but for info on bassic housing and feeding reed the following text:

WHERE TO PUT THE BABIES

Make the babies a soft nest area in a box with clean towels. We like to put one folded towel on the bottom and another bunched on top of that, so the babies can snuggle into it. You can also purchase soft nesting wool from a pet store and put that on top of the towel. Cover the box with a towel so it is dark, making sure that there will be enough air so the babies do not suffocate. Leaving about a one inch gap at the top is usually sufficient. Keep the babies in an out-of-the way, QUIET area, such as an adult's bedroom. If the room temperature is between 68-72 degrees you will not need to provide extra heat, but if it's cooler than that you will need to provide extra warmth. Use a heating pad set on low and slip it under one half only of the bottom towel in the box. We do it this way so that the babies can move to a cooler area if it gets too warm. ALWAYS make sure that the heating pad is covered, as babies can burn themselves very badly on an exposed heating pad.

If the babies were with their mamma, but she is not caring for them (and you are sure she is ignoring them) you will need to separate her from them, so they will not get hurt. If she has created a nest, use that material in the box that you have made to hold the babies. Rabbits nurse only ONE TIME a day, so if you think that she is not caring for them based only on the fact you don't see them feed...think again. But if you are sure she is neglecting them, if they are dehydrated, cold, obviously ignored, of course, something must be done!

WHAT TO FEED THE BABIES

Baby rabbits should be fed Kitten Milk Replacer (KMR), which you can buy at pet stores, or sometimes even a local veterinarian's office. Because rabbit milk is the most caloric of all mammals, we add in one tablespoon of cream to each can of KMR. Unless you are familiar with and skilled at tube feeding babies, use an eye dropper or sterile oral syringe, which can be purchased at most pharmacies. Feed baby rabbits no more than twice a day. Baby rabbits normally feed only ONCE a day, but you're not mama and the KMR is not as caloric as rabbit milk---so if baby does not take in the total amount quoted below in one feeding, you may split the feedings in half, AM/PM - but no more frequently as it can cause severe gastrointestinal distress. Overfeeding is a leading cause of death in infant [domestic] rabbits.

If this is a wild rabbit, handle it ONLY during feedings and make sure to keep it in a quiet, safe, out-of-the-way area of your home, as excessive handling and human interaction can be extremely stressful and potentially fatal, and will lessen its chance or survival once released back into the wild.

Following is a guideline for the daily amount to feed a domestic OR wild rabbit who will be approximately 5-6 pounds as an adult (average rabbit size). You can increase the amounts as needed for larger breeds. Remember, if the rabbit does not eat the full amount listed, feed the remainder later, but do not feed more than twice a day.

For the BEST results, go to your local health food store (GNC has this) and get a bottle of ACIDOPHILUS. Ask for the capsules that have the "grainy stuff" inside (they are easier to mix than the “powdery stuff”) and add it to the KMR at each feeding.

Using acidophilus in addition to KMR will GREATLY increase the baby rabbit's chance of survival, because it helps keep the bacterial balance in a baby's tummy adequate.

thank u and gud luck

• Sapien

Have you contacted a vet yet? That should be the very first thing you do with any wild animal. Even herbivores may be carriers of harmful illnesses to yourself! I suggest you contact a wildlife rehab center in your area, and use the vet they have, rather than a domestic rabbit vet.

You need to determine its age, and be weighing it daily to keep an eye on its weight progressing, which are both very important. At around 2 weeks old, it should start eating fresh vegetables, hay, and rabbit pellets if you cannot supply a vegetation-only diet.

You should NOT keep it as a pet! It is not a pet. Even if you raised it, it still retains ALL its natural instincts, and belongs in the wild. It will be unhappy sitting in a cage all day, plain and simple. Wild animals need to roam to and do as their instincts tell them. You should release it into a woodsy area with some open fields around, or a place you have seen rabbits in before. Release at 4-6 weeks old.

Read this for more please:

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/faq/wild.htm

http://www.earthskids.com/babybunnies.aspx

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv/ and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

Same thing happened to me and the poor dear didn't survive. What you're doing is good, it's still naked I'm guessing?

Do you still have the body of it's littermates and mom? Rabbits grieve like us, and its better for them to see the body for a few hours so they can understand. Sounds crazy but I've had rabbits for six years and really know it helps them through the process.

IF you want to keep it and help it survive, this is what you should do. However, I suggest bringing it to your local vet/ rehabilitation center. Those people are trained to take care of her and she has a larger chance of surviving. Trust me, I know the hard way having to see the little ones go :'( However, if you want to keep her, there is a chance she won't make it. Best of luck, here's what you should do:

Do you still have the contents of her nest? If you do, put that in a big box. Keep it in a quiet room where she wont be disturbed, that's 60-65 degrees. The biggest thing is, if you want to ever release her back into the wild, ONLY TOUCH THE BUNNEH IF YOU HAVE TO! That means a few times a day when you go to feed her. In the wild, she would probably be fed 2 times a day for about 5 minutes, early early in the morning (before the sun is up) and right when the sun goes down, which is when I suggest you feed her. It's better if the room is dark.

When she is 10-12 days old she will probably open her eyes. Until then don't worry if they aren't open. The blanket is good if you want to keep it in her home, it will keep her warm.

The best way to see if she is fed is to look at her belly. It should be nice and round, not all sunken in.

Don't let anyone else handle her. You will become her mother after a while, and when you release her she won't trust humans besides you as long as you're the only human that touches her. Wash your hands before and after handling her (she could already be carrying a disease you wouldn't want your dog/family/other pets getting). If possible, have one pair of gloves you can where when handling her. Remember, its very important you dont disturb her unless she has to be fed. I know it sounds bad, but her real mother might only see her 10 minutes in 2 days.

Also, do you know what kind of milk you're feeding her? I heard kittens milk is the best for them, which you can purchase at your vet or possibly pet store. But if what you're feeding her now says its ok for baby buns definetly stick with it. I suggest heating it up before you feed it to her, it will feel more like home if it's warm. (not hot/cold but warm)

Also I found this at rabbit.org I think it will help:

Newborn to One Week: 2 - 2+1/2 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings per day).

1-2 weeks: 5-7 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings per day). (depending on bunny..may be much LESS if smaller rabbit!) Newborn babies (if eyes closed) all need to be stimulated to urinate and defecate prior to or following feeding until their eyes open. (Except Jackrabbits do not). *See how to below.

2-3 weeks: 7-13 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings). Domestic eyes open at about 10 days of age. Start introducing them to timothy and oat hay, pellets and water (always add fresh greens for wild ones).

3-6 weeks: 13-15 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings--again, may be LESS depending on size of rabbit! A cottontail will take so much less!! Half this at most.) Domestics are weaned about 6 weeks. Cottontails wean and release about 3-4 weeks and jackrabbits much later (9+ weeks)

I might have put this before but I cant really tell lol. Once the little guy is stable and furry, it will be time to release. Thats after 3-5 weeks. She will look VERY SMALL but trust me, the baby buns only stay with their mum for about a month. I know she will look small, but she will know what to do. Trust me. She will!

For more information I would look here: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

Best of luck to you & your little guy now. If you decide to keep her and she survives, trust me it will be super rewarding. maybe she'll even come back to visit.

Take the rabbit to a vet for a checkup. Keep him snugg and warm as well, and give him milk for now. As he gets older feed him special rabbit food, and water. If you give him plenty of love, he''ll live to old age.

p.s. if your planning on keeping him, try giving him a name. Good Luck :)

did the rabbit survive? im trying to take care of my baby rabbit as well.

Well let it have exercise and no vegetables if its still small

no!i think you should put him/her in its cage with its mom. if you where a new born you would want to be with your mother right?