Which is more eco-friendly? Printing or photocopying?

Some of my subjects in school require me to photocopy or print certain texts (not necessarily entire books) I feel really guilty when I print them out because I feel like I waste ink and money, although I do use recycled paper, that is, I print on the back pages of used papers. I feel guilty as well when I... show more Some of my subjects in school require me to photocopy or print certain texts (not necessarily entire books) I feel really guilty when I print them out because I feel like I waste ink and money, although I do use recycled paper, that is, I print on the back pages of used papers. I feel guilty as well when I photocopy them in school because I end up using clean and unused paper instead of recycled ones. But at the same time, it's a lot cheaper for me to photocopy than it is to print.

I do have the option of reading the texts on my laptop, like an e-book, but I find it difficult to do since the texts are quite lengthy. It strains my eyes, and I just generally prefer not to read from any kind of monitor.

So which is greener? printing or photocopying? i'm assuming that it's neither, but in any case, what are the pros and cons of each?