Will A System Restore Point Get Rid Of Computer Viruses?

I am wondering, if I caught a computer virus today, will using a previous restore point way before I caught the virus get rid of the computer virus in my computer?

I am using a Windows XP..
Update: Additional question, what is a System Restore Point anyway? All I know is that it stores a "snapshot" of the current state of your computer. If I used the very first system restore point, will my currently installed programs like games, etc. be removed? Is the system restore anything like as having a back... show more Additional question, what is a System Restore Point anyway? All I know is that it stores a "snapshot" of the current state of your computer. If I used the very first system restore point, will my currently installed programs like games, etc. be removed? Is the system restore anything like as having a back up file?