? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Why do Americans hate public transportation?

The only place with competent public transportation in this ENTIRE COUNTRY is right here in New York City.

When I was visiting London riding the Underground, it felt like Disney World, and kind of makes America look like a third-world country.

Why do you all love sitting on your fat butts in traffic all day?

• iceman
    Best Answer

Most Americans love their privacy and Independence.

• tott1

it is part of the crowded city life that i moved away from. if this town gets big enough for houston metro to come out here i will move. simply put if the place has the population density to support local public transportation the neighbors are to close to me. public transportation is needed in new york and chicago most american cities were built to make the automobile the best method of travel.

I'm not sure we hate it, I think its more of a lack of it. I would use public transit to work if there was any. There is almost no bus service where I live, and the nearest train station by my work is miles away, not to mention that the train line near my house goes nowhere near my work. A car is the only option, and I think thats true of most Americans not living in big cities like New York or Chicago or Boston

Because, as you said, the only place with competent public transportation in this ENTIRE COUNTRY is right there in New York City.

I don't live in NYC. I wouldn't live there if you paid me! I don't mind riding the bus, but most bus drivers here are required to treat their passengers with contempt, or risk getting fired. It took me 2.25 hours to ride the bus to work, and only 25 minutes to drive it on the expressway. I wasn't stuck in traffic, unless I was riding the bus...

Source(s): I live in Las Vegas.
  • BruceN

Chicago, Boston, Washington DC and a number other US cities have good mass transit systems.

But the distances in America and our early adoption of the automobile has retarded the growth of public transit. The automobile also fits the American ideal of freedom and individualism, better than mass transit which has often been portrayed as collectivist. Investment in infrastructure is unpopular because all of the public funding goes to our road and highway system, which is much better than that of Europe.

Excellent question. Part of it has to do with the vastness of much of the country, part of it has to do with the automobile industry having been very important here for much of the twentieth century, and part has to do with a high value on independence on a personal level.

There is irony in the last factor, as most of us will live long enough to lose our ability to drive safely, and will end up highly dependent on others due to the lack of an adequate public transportation system.

There is a lot of misinformation out there that leads people to believe that trains are highly subsidized, while automobiles and trucks are not. In fact, both are highly subsidized, but roads more so than trains.

It basically has to do with the power of the oil and automobile lobbies. When the government spends billions of dollars constructing roads, no other form of transportation can compete.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_American_street...

Obviously, we do not sit in traffic all day or we would not hate public transportation. We are Americans and American is synonymous with independence, individualism and high energy. What speaks better to that than a car?

Please move to Europe. You seem to adore public transportation and crowded places.

• ?

because other cities are not crammed into a small space. they have to ride public transportation to catch another bus or train a few times to get close enough to work and still have to pay for auto insurance, gas and public transport fees

I don't blame them for riding public transportation in England given those queer-looking tiny cars they have.

Because the Hate People hate anything public.