Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 10 years ago

is this use of 'not unless' correct?

If we travel in distant land, still uncharted on the map, and find a new mountain, can we say that we invented the mountain? Not unless we were insane.

I thought Not means we cannot, so this is really "We cannot (=Not) (say it was invented) unless we were insane.

or should i have said "not unless we are sane"?

can someone explain this to me?

Favorite Answer

Unless means if not.

Not unless means "if"

Will I pass this test? If you study. Unless you don't study Not unless you study.

The "not" cancels the "unless". "Not unless" = "if".

Can we say we invented the mountain? If we were insane, we could.

Source(s): BA Linguistics MEd TESOL 28 years of explaining this stuff

Our friend zinn is right, as usual, but I'd add that it's perfectly good informal English. A search of the 100-million-word British National Corpus (1970s-1993) at Brigham Young (see link) for "not unless" gives 120 hits, almost all from fiction. The same search of the 400+ million-word Corpus of Contemporary American English (1990-2009) gave 339, mostly fiction and journalism.

In theory it is correct but it is a horrible example of proper English, American or other former colony. The author is trying to impress him/her self with there ability to use words.

With just a little poetic license, since the subject is portrayed light hearted I would say;

Should we chance upon a new mountain in our travel to distant, uncharted land; shall we claim invention rather than discovery just to prove sanity was not amongst our possessions?

I don't do ESL professionally but I've helped a number of folks over the past 30+ years and find this sort of approach more effective because it leads to a lot of innocuous discussion. Learning the hard words can be fun and then the easy words come easy because you've already used them without realizing it.

Either way is right as understood in English terms, but technically speaking you've got it correct. Not unless is a contradiction. But it really doesn't matter that much.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

is this use of 'not unless' correct?

or should i have said...

Source(s): 39 39 correct: https://biturl.im/SR3S5
  • eddi

Not Unless