Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

what should a bridesmaid get a bride for her bridal shower?

there are 2 bridesmaid in the wedding my 16 and my sis 13 and when were have gone to bridal showers in the past the bridesmaid usually give the bride a big gift. but since its just the 2 of us and we are young we don't know what do give. any creative ideas? or should we just stick to the registery

Favorite Answer

I'd look at something you can do yourself. For example, taking her invite and buying a double frame. Pressing some of the flowers she will have in her bouquet (especially if she's using roses) and framing them around her invite.

One of my favorite gifts is an embroidered afghan. You could buy a polar fleece and get it embroidered with her initial. I ordered one for my sister's wedding from Lillian Vernon. They have a lot of personalized gifts.

Take pictures of the bride and groom together and go get a calendar made for them for the next year. Make ornaments. Salt ornaments can be made to smell like cinnamon. Usually newlyweds never have ornaments for their first tree so the first year it's just covered in candy canes. Someone gave a bunch of them to my husband and I for our wedding and I thought it was the sweetest thing.

A newlywed basket. Several people for showers like to get the bride candles with this poem about burn the purple candles when you find out you are pregnant with your first child. See if you can find that on the internet b/c that's a very sweet and easy gift to afford. Another idea is to provide meals. Place a few boxes of mac n cheese, some pasta with some sauce, a box of taco ingredients. That would be really cute.

Find out what someone else is getting and go with that. For example, my mother in law got me a fire pit for Christmas. It would have been cute if someone young got a cord of wood to go with it or a poker. If someone is getting her a Mr Tea, you could get her the tea bags.

For my sister's showers, I got her the "new" things she needed. A luggage tag with a K on it (her new initial) for her honeymoon luggage. An OPI nail polish in "Going to the Chapel" pink. OPI has such cute names. For my shower someone gave me The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. Everyone got a huge laugh out of it. A bag with 5 or 6 items would be awesome. Think about what she might need for her honeymoon. TSA complient travel items. Is it a long flight? Travel pillow. Snorkel gear is about $20-30 at Dick's sporting goods if they are going to the Caribbean.

Definitely go with creative!

Simply call her and say that the additional expenses make it impossible for you to be a bridesmaid but that you are truly looking forward to attending her wedding and celebrating it with her. To answer your first title question, anything on the registry is fine or some generic memento gift such as a photo frame or vase that she will always have. So it can be similar to a wedding gift unless the shower is titled a kitchen or bedroom shower. Do not feel guilty about cancelling. It is only a 5 hour event. You need your money

• Avis B

Thirteen and sixteen year old bridesmaids are not expected to give "big, expensive gifts" because you have no source of income PLUS if you have already invested $250 (per person) in wedding attire (gowns, shoes, jewelry) you have already done "your fair share."

So, here's any economical and creative suggestion . . buy her a wedding scrap booking kit for wedding photographs and memorabilia. The two of you can split the cost of the basic album and all the little "extras" that you want to include (paper, labels, stamps, fonts, pictures, clever sayings, glue, ribbon, photo corners, etc).

Answered by: A Certified wedding specialist / A Professional bridal consultant / A Wedding ceremony officiant

It is best to stick to the registry. Go in together and purchase something you can afford. I know the last wedding I was in all us bridesmaid chipped in (there were 4 of us) and purchased the 1 big gift on her list. But we were all in our late 20's.

• monica

ask your parents for money to get a gift. Thats what my sisters did and they were 17 and 20 years old. My other brides maids didnt really get me anything but they hosted the shower and threw me a bacholore party.

• PugMom

Stick to the registry. Pick something that the two of you can afford and go in on a gift.

dish